This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Postage - is this right?? Surely not!

(6 Posts)
lljkk Fri 22-Feb-13 13:08:41

Agree, 50p is way too low! Did you start price at that or 99p? You can still edit the start price, OP, I strongly urge you to if you really did put only 50p.

Suppose it sells for 50p & you put only £2.20 on the postage.
Buyer pays £2.70, after postage you think you have 50p.
But Ebay actually takes 5p (FVF) and 35p Paypal fees, so you're netting 10p/item.

See if you can squeeze it into an A4 size envelope less than 2.5 cm thick; I have done this before with clothes. You get large letter rate which costs £50p-£1 less. Double up the envelopes to make sure protective enough of contents.

sixlostmonkeys Thu 21-Feb-13 11:23:40

After FVFs, paypal fees and packaging you won't actually make any money at all if they sell for 50p sad

Sunshinewithshowers Thu 21-Feb-13 02:09:05

You might have to pay sellers fees still, approx 4 weeks after sales.

freerangeeggs Thu 21-Feb-13 01:52:10

I'm wondering myself if it was worth the bother! But I had taken the photos, so I just plugged away. All free listings anyway. Potentially could make about eight quid, which is feck all really but every little helps etc.

A bundle is a good idea. I might just do that. Thanks poppy wearer smile

PoppyWearer Wed 20-Feb-13 22:38:40

£2.20 is about the minimum for anything over a large letter.

Take them to the post office and see?

Say in your listings that you will refund any excess postage. I do this (many don't) and it's easy to do through PayPal.

If the scarves aren't worth much then are they worth selling? Would they be better sold as a bundle? Can you sell them through a vintage shop instead?

freerangeeggs Wed 20-Feb-13 22:35:20

Hi everyone. I'm trying to do a bit of a wardrobe clear out and put a few scarves on eBay today. I'm not expecting to make much - maybe about 50p each - and I'm not trying to profit from the postage.

I used the Royal Mail postage calculator to work out how much I should charge. Each scarf weighs about 200g. It says it'll cost £2.20 2nd class for a packet that size??

This seems too much considering the value of the scarves themselves. Have I worked this out wrongly? Should they be large letters instead? Though they might be more than 2.5cm maximum thickness the Royal Mail requires...

I'm worried people will be put off. I would be!!

Thanks for the help smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now