Join us at Workfest for expert advice on kickstarting your career x

This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Wrong bloody email on listing, payment bloody cocked up! Be warned.

(5 Posts)
Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 13-Feb-13 20:53:26

Unnoticed by me, Ebay put the wrong email address on my listings. Apparently it was autolifted on my webform but at some point in the past had been misspelt and that's the address it put on the listings. I didn't notice because I was doing it on my mobile and it didn't give me the opportunity to manually type it in.

I should have checked on the computer that all the information was correct. You only get a limited amount of info on a mobile listing. I had this happen once before years ago and it was a total pain in the arse getting in touch with the seller who natually thought something was up. I've had to email everyone and ask them very nicely if they could pay me via the correct address straight into paypal. They probably think I'm up to something but that is the advice the supervisor at ebay gave me when I got a bit fed up being fobbed off by the underling.

I've now got eight finished listings with incorrect email addresses, because they all copied the first misspelt one. You can't edit them once they've finished.

None of my other online companies ever do this! I have only ever had this problem with ebay and yet the guy I spoke to very patiently explained to me that it was because of the mistake on the webform. Well yes but no-one else I deal with ever loads the incorrect address! It only happens with ebay. Why don't they believe me? <wails>

For gods sake check when you sell stuff on ebay. Their computer system is an arsebandit and will balls it up somewhere, mark my words.

<fume>

fergoose Wed 13-Feb-13 20:55:15

log into paypal and add the wrong email address to your account - then you can accept the payment from the wrong email address

PoppyWearer Wed 13-Feb-13 21:04:14

I bought something on eBay a few months ago and my profile randomly switched to an old mailing address. Just for that one purchase. It took weeks for it to be returned to the seller and sent on to my correct address.

eBay denied any problems at their end but it definitely was - I haven't edited my profile for years, never use that part of the website.

FWIW, I bought something a couple of weeks ago and the seller had the wrong email address. She explained and I was fine with cancelling the first payment and resending. I'm a seller too and know these things happen (especially on eBay!).

Ilovemydogandmydoglovesme Wed 13-Feb-13 21:28:07

It does happen a lot on eBay doesn't it? I do practically everything online and I don't remember this happening with anyone else.

When the item lists, why can't they have a notification flag up that says 'this email address is different to the one registered on your account'. Last time it happened it used my email address with my maiden name in it. I tried to explain to the eBay person that I hd sold about eighty items since I'd married and it had never randomly changed before!

lollilou Sat 16-Feb-13 12:36:28

Yes this happened to me on Ebay too. The buyer had my old email address unbeknown to me. So I was messaging him saying I had no payment he was saying he had paid it was a nightmare. I posted on here and was given great advice to check my email. I was relieved not to get bad feedback from my buyer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now