The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Set a reserve or set higher starting price

(6 Posts)
loveisagirlnameddaisy Mon 04-Feb-13 16:11:32

Thanks for replies.

Floral yes, have checked others out, one was selling for £30 and still had 3 hours to go, so i think £25 is a fair price.

fergoose still don't understand why it let me enter £25 as a reserve if it's meant to be £50 although I didn't actually list it yet so perhaps it would flag it up as an error if I tried to submit it for an actual listing

I just assumed if I started the bidding at £25 it would put people off. Having said that, if I do a free listing next weekend, I can test it and see.

Ta again!

lljkk Sun 03-Feb-13 09:50:32

I wait for Free Listing weekends and my starting price is my reserve. Simple and cheap, just takes a little longer to sell.

sarahtigh Sat 02-Feb-13 20:41:13

it will cost 50p to start at £25, better to pay 50p than sell at 99p or just wait until next weekend or possibly one after when you get free listing at any price

never list at 99p unless happy to sell for 99p

fergoose Sat 02-Feb-13 18:44:55

lowest reserve is £50 - you will need to start it at the lowest price you are willing to sell for, otherwise you do risk selling for only 99p.

Floralnomad Sat 02-Feb-13 18:03:02

I always just start things at the price I'd be happy to accept . Have you looked to see what others have sold for as that will give you an idea as to whether your price is realistic .

loveisagirlnameddaisy Sat 02-Feb-13 17:59:59

Sorry, I appreciate this may have been covered a hundred times before but I'm an eBay virgin. I'm trying to sell a Clearblue Fertility Monitor in really good second hand condition and would like to get £25 min for it (worth £65 new).

I'm perplexed.... Was going to just set a £25 reserve with starting price of 0.99p, but I understand that bidders don't like reserves as a rule. Also confused by eBay accepting the reserve of £25 when I plugged it in, but then telling me reserves have to be a minimum of £50??

So, what's the best thing to do if I don't want to let it go for 99p? If I set my starting price at £25 won't this put people off?

thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now