The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Item collection only, buyer now wants to use courier

(9 Posts)
Chickengirl Sat 26-Jan-13 07:55:05

Hi, I'm looking for advice from experienced sellers. I recently sold a large item listed as collect in person only. After sale, the buyer has contacted me saying they will send a collection company, not asking if that is ok. If they had asked while the auction was on I would have said no as I don't want to wait in for a courier and can't a lot of time anyway. Also I am unable to package it and don't want the risk of them saying it hasn't arrived/ been collected or that it was damaged by me if any damage occurred in transit. What can I do? I don't want to risk negative feedback and I doubt they are able to collect themselves as they live at the other end of the country, but the listing was clearly collect in person only.

RooneyMara Sat 26-Jan-13 08:15:48

Tread carefully, this is exactly what happened to me last year. (is it the same buyer I wonder!)
You don't have to let them collect it by courier. Ebay won;t help you out on this..but still stick to your guns as you're right, it's you the buck stops with if anything happens to it on the way or there';s any sort of dispute.

You could arrange your own courier and charge them for this - that way you have the contract and can claim if anything goes wrong on the way there.

Otherwise it leaves you open to being blamed if the item arrives broken etc.
Say no politely, explain why - it may be Ok to accept bank transfer and allow this, as they can't then claim through paypal - but still, it's up to you.

My buyer was well arsey, and I was sure she'd neg me but I remained calm and weary in my explanations and she never did in the end.

Good luck.

fergoose Sat 26-Jan-13 08:16:14

refuse - you will have no tracking so will not be covered if it gets lost.

cash on collection only - no exceptions

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 26-Jan-13 12:30:33

Don't do it, we've just had loads of trouble with this same situation. If they want it they can come and fetch it. If its too far then they will just have to wait until something closer comes up.

clam Sat 26-Jan-13 12:44:48

We had this last year, and it was three weeks before anyone came to get it. It was a large piece of furniture that was littering up my sitting room whilst I was trying to decorate and take possession of my new furniture. It ended up in my neighbour's garage with a paint splodge on.

A courier did come and collect though, and there were no repercussions.

Chickengirl Sat 26-Jan-13 16:34:54

Thanks for the advice. I messages the buyer to say no but they've replied, adamant they want to send a courier. Dh wants to just let them as it was low value and we want rid, but I'm still not keen. Will think about it later and decide next response.

IncognitoIsMyFavouriteWord Sat 26-Jan-13 17:22:41

oh dear I had this a couple of years ago.

The buyer asked me if he could arrange a courier.

I said no its collection only. The bloody buyer won the item and told me it would be collected. I believed him, until bloody dhl turned up.

I just decided to let him have it only he didn't give dhl his address (stupid man). I didn't have it so I sent dhl away refunded his money and reported him.

I relisted it and and it ended on more than the first sale and the buyer collected on the same day.

Happy ending grin

fergoose Sat 26-Jan-13 17:38:54

chickengirl - you do not have to agree to a courier, despite what the buyer says

As above you will have no come back if the item is lost or damaged, plus you will have to wait for said courier and arrange packaging too

So many things could go wrong, ultimately you could lose your item and your money.

Chickengirl Sat 26-Jan-13 20:00:20

Thank you fergoose, I've sent another message advising I cannot wait in for a courier due to commitments throughout the day and I cannot package it. Waiting to see what he says next. So frustrating people do this. All my other listings were collect only and all the other buyers have been local and arranged to do so.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now