This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Missing parcel advise

(17 Posts)
ProtegeMoi Fri 25-Jan-13 03:15:38

I recently bought several items from one seller totalling £95 (from a Facebook group not EBay but figured advise is the same). They posted them all together.

It has been nearly 2 weeks now and they still have not arrived. The tracking number just says it is being processed. I have phoned my sorting office and asked my post man on several occasions and nothing.

I know post is running slow due to the weather but I have had things arrive that were posted much later and things I have posted later have also arrived.

At what point do you stop waiting and realize they are not going to come? And what can I do if it comes to this?

I thought the whole point of recorded was that you can track it but the tracking number isn't showing where it is.

fergoose Fri 25-Jan-13 07:55:17

I would open a paypal dispute now tbh - and escalate it too.

ProtegeMoi Fri 25-Jan-13 18:59:37

Is that fair though?

They have given me the tracking number, they have definately posted it.

Seems harsh to open a dispute when it might still arrive, or is that impossible now?

fergoose Fri 25-Jan-13 20:29:31

no not impossible - you can always close the dispute if the item arrives

fergoose Fri 25-Jan-13 20:30:21

Also, if they were sent recorded delivery they are only insured up to £47 too so the seller can only claim that amount for their loss. She should have sent them special or courier to be adequately insured.

sarahtigh Fri 25-Jan-13 21:45:27

well you have 60 days to open paypal dispute Royal will agree that signed for is missing after 15 working days ( 3 calender weeks) so either open now or wait until 15 days is up, if i turns up close dispute if it does not you will get refund

A decent person like yourself would I am sure pay again if it did turn up after they had been refunded

YeahBuddy Fri 25-Jan-13 21:49:19

Have a look on Facebook for a group called The Scam Busters, ask to join the group and pm one of the admin just to check your seller isn't on their scammers list. They sorted out a problem I had quite quickly but I am now very skeptical about buying things from Facebook now.

ProtegeMoi Sat 26-Jan-13 00:01:54

That makes sense thanks. Definately not a scam, she has sent me the tracking number and her others iitems have been received. They are cloth nappies not a commonly scammed item.

I didn't know they were not covered what does that mean? Will she not get her money back? I would feel awful claiming from her if she is going to lose her money.

fergoose Sat 26-Jan-13 08:21:20

no she won't get all her money back if they were only sent recorded. Her responsibility though isn't it?

ProtegeMoi Sat 26-Jan-13 12:36:37

Oh no. I didn't know that and don't think she did. I didn't ask for special delivery, she didn't suggest it so would say joint responsibility.

I had no clue, she isn't a professional seller. Shouldn't they tell you at the post office that it won't be covered?

How can Royal mail not know where the parcel is when it was recorded. They are not interested in the slightest every time I ring.

fergoose Sat 26-Jan-13 12:39:40

no it isn't joint responsibility - why on earth would it be your fault?

If a seller takes paypal it is their job to get the item to the buyer - it is never your job to tell them they need to insure a parcel. she should have asked at the post office herself.

recorded isn't tracked until it is delivered, not really royal mail's fault is it.

ProtegeMoi Sat 26-Jan-13 16:27:06

Well it is Royal Mails fault, they lost it after all.

I just feel awful, she wasn't to know. I certainly wouldn't have done and it could have been the other way round.

Geeklover Sat 26-Jan-13 16:32:48

Recorded delivery is not tracked. It is treated and handled exactly the same as any other mail dropped in a post box. It is only tracked in that you know it's arrived because it has been signed for.

fergoose Sat 26-Jan-13 16:35:11

the seller could give you any tracking number though. Here you are feeling guilty, and she has given you a tracking number which could be for anything - how do you know it is a parcel for your address? Just open a not received case with paypal and get your money back. For all you know this seller could be scamming all sorts of people.

ProtegeMoi Sun 27-Jan-13 01:46:21

I suppose I don't but then if it wasn't for my address it would show as delivered surely.

Have opened a case, with an apology message as feel terrible about it, can't afford to loose the money though.

I won't escalate yet and see if they arrive next week. I really hope she gets her money back though.

fergoose Sun 27-Jan-13 09:54:19

no - lots of recorded items are delivered without a signature, I receive plenty. It could be a tracking number for any item to anyone - there is no knowing.

ProtegeMoi Sun 27-Jan-13 23:01:32

Really? That's awful. My postie always gets a signature for recorded items.

If its not tracked and they don't always get a signature what are you paying extra for?

If you send a recorded parcel and they deliver it without a signature surely you could ask for the price of recorded back? After all they haven't done what you paid extra for!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now