The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

feedback extortion.

(421 Posts)
sixlostmonkeys Wed 16-Jan-13 19:44:10

I reported a buyer for feedback extortion.

I've received this back from ebay CS

>>>>"I gathered from your email that the buyer has threatened to leave negative feedback on your account if you will not send them money.

We've looked into the situation again and can see that this isn't a case of feedback extortion"<<<<<

The policy on feedback extortion is - " Buyers are not allowed to threaten sellers with negative Feedback, neutral Feedback or low Detailed Seller Ratings in order to obtain goods or services not included in the original listing."

So, could anyone help me understand this? Does it mean that if the buyer was demanding hamsters or penguins then it would be feedback extortion, but demanding money is fine, and therefor NOT extortion?

alienbanana Tue 14-May-13 18:15:39

How on earth have I missed this thread! Its insane!

sixlostmonkeys Tue 14-May-13 18:29:02

Oh, a Hollywood film! I shall now have a good think about which beautiful, glamorous, elegant, sophisticated, young actress can play the part of me. gringrinwink

I have thought about writing the book........... smile

GoodbyePorkPie Tue 14-May-13 19:17:46

Oh my, I have just read this whole saga.

She is obviously a complete nutter - how has she managed to 'run businesses into the ground?'

Someone needs to take her out.

ah of course Fluffycloudland77

well i'm not surprised her businesses haven't done well if that's how she behaves. she's probably taken all her clients to court as well.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Tue 14-May-13 20:36:04

she's a serial business killer. smile

Chances are she wont turn up at court. Although I am desperate to know where it will be held and loiter. grin

Sunnywithshowers Tue 14-May-13 21:25:16

Bonkers.

UnexpectedItemInShaggingArea Tue 14-May-13 21:52:57

Oh God I neeeeed to be there to watch.

Is there a public gallery? grin

YoniWidge Tue 14-May-13 22:14:23

Is there a public gallery?

I want a like button for that grin

Just read the whole thread and this is utterly insane!

Hope it gets heard in a court near me so I can attend grin

carabossse Tue 14-May-13 23:05:17

This sounds stressful, good luck with the court case.

After reading the thread- who pays hundreds to claim £15- I wonder if this person has an illness or some personality disorder. Either way, hopefully she'll let the judge know what she's like by her actions in person as well as her words. Surely a case of wasting court time?

trixymalixy Wed 15-May-13 08:41:54

Oh my word! Have only just found this thread and I am gobsmacked!!

Please update as soon as you can!!!!

sixlostmonkeys Wed 15-May-13 11:16:42

Just discovered that "John Smith" does actually exist!
He is a retired Police Officer, and was retired in 1991. So, after a quick guess at the years he was active I now have Gene Hunt in my head grin

I've just been reading some court stuff and it seems she can have someone with her/ or for her at the hearing. I do hope he walks in the room, adjusts his leather driving gloves and says "Right...Let's fire up the Quattro"

You can have someone with you too.

That time I accompanied the company solicitor to the small claims court, he thought it was going to be an edumacation for me, seeing the big hotshot lawyer in the courtroom.

It was the UK office of a multi-national and the company solicitor saw fit to take a distributor to court over sums which were in dispute at the time, and the distributor had put all disputes in writing and the sales office were dealing with it.

For some reason knobhead inhouse solicitor started on that the man had run out of time, and issued court papers. When I discussed it with him he sneered 'well I hardly think he is going to take on a multinational company with our unlimimted resources is he?'

anyway the dist stuck to his guns and contested it and attended court. He stayed calm, only spoke and answered when spoken to by the judge. He came over as intelligent, hardworking man who had had to take a day out of earning a living (self employed) to attend court.

On the other hand our solicitor was pompous, arrogant, waffled on to the judge on 'legal points' etc.

Judge must have decided his judgement within 2 mins of each of them opening their mouths. I am not sure what exactly his finding was but I remember the pompous solicitor getting totally flustered and asking if the judgement could be set aside. I do remember we were ordered to pay the distributors costs as the issue should not even have come to court due to him having docs and emails to prove he was trying to sort out the supply disputes.

So, take someone with you.
Keep calm. No matter what this other person does or says, YOU are the sensible one and have nothing to prove. Let her/John Smith think they have one over on you. THe calmer you are, the worse they will appear. Judges hate nothing more than 'vexatious litigants' who waste everyones time and money over things that should just never be subject to legal procedings. Whatever she does or says, just smile sweetly at her, this will drive her insane. There is no need for you to say or do anything over and above respond to whatever the judge says to you. He is trained to ask a few questions in order to hone in on the truth of the matter.
Keep in mind all the time that this lunatic has done ALL THIS for £15.
I know that is not normal. THe judge will know that's not normal too.
I am hoping that he is letting it go to court just so that she will make a complete show of herself and he will award you your costs. Who knows, he may be letting it go to court because he is curious as to what this lunatic is like in real life!

Do you have someone to go with you? Even just to nudge you under the table if you start getting annoyed!
Oh and if its the same set up as the one I went to (in Wigan) its not like a full court thingy, its just a side room and you all sit round a table. Very civilised.

Oh and that time the court found against out company solicitor?

To my great delight 2 days later the MD of the UK division came hurtling into the solicitors office first thing in the morning demanding to know why we had a CCJ against us (for the distributors costs).

Our bank had informed head office in the US and everyone was on the warpath!

It was lovely. So you see, people who use the legal system to threaten and intimidate others, do get found out grin

sadly I left that job 6 months later as his bullying and intimidation did not stop at distributors...

When this is all over, phone the HMRC grass-up line about the businesses that this person is running. Even pensioners have to pay tax on earnings.
ANd then find out the name of her latest company and phone the insolvency hotline (number on companies house website) and report her for abuse of the 'phoenix company' type legislation in order to avoid debts/taxes. They do have to have a live company though when you do that, you can't report someone for a liquidated company if they haven't started up a new one out of the ashes.
Have you searched on the person at 'jordanwatch' website, you can search on her name and also John SMiths to see if he is a dodgy business man too. Possibly her husband and in on the chain of liquidated companies?

sixlostmonkeys Wed 15-May-13 12:02:04

Thanks for all this Flibbertyjibbet!

Annoyingly I have to go out now - and I'm just getting to grips with some things I'm finding on the net.

I'll post more later.
I do hope you are all around over the next few weeks as I prepare for the hearing! (the posters on this thread are actually all I have smile - my ds is supportive of course, bless him, but he's only 16 - too young to burden )

Livvylongpants Wed 15-May-13 12:32:44

Shamelessly marking my place to see what Mr and mrs fruitloop and going to say at this hearing.

Well done for how you have handled this very well, I would have probably given her a swift kick to the tits not dealt with it with the dignity that you have smile

SisterMonicaJoan Wed 15-May-13 13:33:57

Not that you should need it, but good luck six

As a pp said, the judge is probably intriged what fruitloop is like or he can already see she is a malicious claimant and he has already made his mind up to let her be much out of pocket so he can hit her back with costs!

Footle Wed 15-May-13 18:06:00

Coming out of lurkdom to cheer you on, sixwinningmonkeys.

TidyDancer England Wed 15-May-13 18:23:13

Oh sweet baby Jesus.

This is the best thing I have read for ages! I am so sorry this is happening to you six, but thank you so much for bringing it into our lives!

Am waiting on tenterhooks for the next instalment!

Good luck!

FancyPuffin Wed 15-May-13 18:30:33

Good Christ shock

I can't believe this is still going on! I hope you wipe the floor with her six

petra27 Wed 15-May-13 18:40:05

Oh my goodness me, as someone who sells online and thought she had met a few strange people, I can not actually believe this woman and especially that she is allowed to bring it to court.

I am so sorry for all the stress and hassle for you.

How does one get classed as a vexatious litigant (& can therefore no longer apply to the court) does anyone know?

On a less serious note I do sense a Mumsnet outing coming on though...

petra27 Wed 15-May-13 18:46:40

Ok have found the uk official list of vexatious litigants

www.justice.gov.uk/courts/vexatious-litigants

Can't get it work as a link, sorry, you'll have c&p

Have a look to see if your madwoman is listed, it might explain the PO box?

Doyouthinktheysaurus Wed 15-May-13 18:58:06

OMG

I remember this thread from ages ago, can't believe you are still going through it!

I hope commune sense prevails when this gets to court.

The woman sounds utterly deranged!

Lioninthesun Wed 15-May-13 19:00:00

Try not to say too much at the Court. Ex took me there and he showed himself up by spouting a load and getting worked up. I calmly sat there looking at the ceiling as I had listened to the Judge at the beginning asking us to talk only when spoken to or asked a question by her. He showed his true colours without me having to say anything. It was amazing watching him ranting and seeing the people in the room shock and looking at each other as if to say 'is this guy for real?'. Take someone with you for laughs afterwards, wish I had. Just make sure they stay quiet and mentally record the highlights for you grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now