This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

feedback extortion.

(421 Posts)
sixlostmonkeys Wed 16-Jan-13 19:44:10

I reported a buyer for feedback extortion.

I've received this back from ebay CS

>>>>"I gathered from your email that the buyer has threatened to leave negative feedback on your account if you will not send them money.

We've looked into the situation again and can see that this isn't a case of feedback extortion"<<<<<

The policy on feedback extortion is - " Buyers are not allowed to threaten sellers with negative Feedback, neutral Feedback or low Detailed Seller Ratings in order to obtain goods or services not included in the original listing."

So, could anyone help me understand this? Does it mean that if the buyer was demanding hamsters or penguins then it would be feedback extortion, but demanding money is fine, and therefor NOT extortion?

LineRunner Fri 01-Feb-13 09:59:42

Wow. You should blog this.

Might help eBay buck up their ideas a bit as well.

McNo Fri 01-Feb-13 10:09:48

I will be watching this thread with interest. That lady sounds one of a kind nutty grin

I have just read through the whole saga opem-mouthed.

six, this is super weird stuff.

I have so many questions, but understand the need for caution.
Just one I'm desperate to know - has she got a Big Journey to get to your local court? I really hope so. wink

sixlostmonkeys Fri 01-Feb-13 10:16:36

she lives about 80 miles away.

oh, and between you me (sshhhhh) Like I have said, she still has more money to pay - and I actually think that she will be paying for a solicitor to attend on her behalf (because I'm dangerous) - so we can easily say she will be paying a few hundred. The thing is, for some reason she has reached the conclusion (and has stated such on the court papers) that I earn a large salary. The truth is (remember...ssshhhhh) my income is actually so low that I would not be expected to pay anything even if she by some freakish chance was to win the case.

Well, I never laugh out loud.

But I friffing did them.

That's ace!

Not your financial situation obviously, but the potential outcome.

I do feel like I should put her on my blocked buyers list though.

[innocentface]

sixlostmonkeys Sat 02-Feb-13 11:07:30

Right!! This has just got serious.

I am attempting to compile my defense to her claims (all 39 pages of them!!)

# 5 - she accuses me of thanking her - for sending the 'photo's'

I object STRONGLY to such an accusation! I most certainly DID NOT insert a rogue apostrophe! ...and I have the original email to prove it.
Surely the police will have a special dept. to help me deal with such an accusation?

grin grin
a sense of humour will help me get through this - won't it????

PS - I am actually going to defend this 'particular of claim' grin

fergoose Sat 02-Feb-13 11:59:06

39 pages - for £15!!

I would not be surprised if this person is a serial offender for many claims such as this - not that that helps, but you know.

Any update OP?

LaVitaBellissima Mon 11-Mar-13 11:11:40

Wow, this thread is hilarious!

Iwantmybed Mon 11-Mar-13 13:00:05

Wow OP. She is a special kind of crazy. I like you would enjoy the fight against her.Im looking forward to your ceremonial victory against this loon.

sixlostmonkeys Tue 12-Mar-13 16:07:09

There's no exciting update to report just yet.

I submitted my defense. I defended each and every 'particular'. (there were a lot of them!) I even defended the claim that I used a rogue apostrophe grin and enclosed a print-out of the '(non-)offending' original email. smile
I enclosed print-outs of ebay pages where it states that the buyer is responsible for the return postage etc.
I summarised by saying that she could have a. accepted my goodwill gesture of the actual return postage cost, or b. requested a no fault refund from ebay and kept the item but instead she chose to c. send me the contents of her refuse bin and then demand I send her £15 for it.

During the email exchanges prior to her filing a court claim, I had told her that "due to the nature of my disability my costs would be higher than normal".
She commented on this within the court papers, accusing me of using my 'disability' as nothing but a ploy for sympathy.
I responded to this. Oh boy did I respond! I stated that - any reasonable person reading my words in context would realise that I was merely pointing out that travel costs would be higher for me than they would be for an able bodied person. I then asked - "Sympathy from whom?" Does Ms Fruitloop consider that a judge would discriminate against a able bodied person.....etc etc". I went on - "Or sympathy from her? As she has so far come across as a person of questionable moral character and appears to have little grasp of reality any attempts of pleas for any kind of understanding would be utterly futile"
'John Smith' within the court papers, as a response to my mention of disability, said - "it may interest you to know that I am 'severely' disabled as a result of injuries received whilst serving as a police officer. So I think we can cancel that one out!" - I replied...... Disability is NOT a competition and he should be thoroughly ashamed of himself.

John Smith (ex-police officer)hmm used his skills to determine I was a danger to ms fruitloop hmm and stated that ebay had been in touch with her to tell her that I had "demanded" to know her address. Of course, there was no supporting copy of this ebay email hmm. I supplied the copy of the email within my defense which is an automated email sent to both her and me providing contact details (not address) of each party.
She had used this absurd claim to obtain use of a C/O address at a cost of £45.
I sent a separate letter to the court manager about this, pointing out that John Smith is a made up person, what the actual email was and more importantly.....she had already freely given me her actual address! - so why has she been allowed to increase the costs of this case?

I have just sent off another set of forms and so now it's just a case of waiting for her to apply to the judge for a hearing.....

Methe Tue 12-Mar-13 16:17:04

Brilliant grin

(marking place!)

omg I know it must be very stressful for you but its so funny!

Ebay automatically gives a seller the buyers address but she's claiming you are stalking her by having her address????

Oh and take it from me, claims like this are the daily entertainment for the court service people.

Its about £40 I think to file the papers. Then if she insists on a court date thats over £500. that she has to pay in advance I am sure.

All for her to be either told that she can have £2 a week off you - and of course you can default after the first payment and she can then start the whole procedure again, OR

I am sure there is something where by, if one party runs up unreasonable costs by not acting reasonably (ie she refused your goodwill gesture) then even if she wins, a judge can order that she pays her own costs.

I hope it does go to court. And that you invite ME to go along with you as I would not miss that for the world.

sixlostmonkeys Tue 12-Mar-13 16:25:25

I think these hearings are held in a public room aren't they? (not sure)
Hehe - shall we make a m-net day of it?

notapizzaeater Tue 12-Mar-13 16:32:08

Omg - people like this really exist ?

DeafLeopard Tue 12-Mar-13 16:35:46

Count us in six - MN meets fruitloop

TippiShagpile Tue 12-Mar-13 16:41:20

OMG. This sounds truly hideous. I can't believe you're having to go through this.

Please keep us posted.

I know we're sort of laughing (nervously) about her but this sounds like a real head fuck situation for you.

Hope you're ok.

<<closes ebay account>>

WeAreEternal Tue 12-Mar-13 16:42:58

This is insane!

Please, please, please, continue to share every detain of this, it's hilarious.

Caitycat Tue 12-Mar-13 16:58:27

I really feel for you, entertaining as this is to read (and you tell the story very well!) it must be unbelievably stressful and time-consuming for you, I really hope all goes well and the case is concluded (in your favour) asap

Milliways Tue 12-Mar-13 17:04:08

Wow, I just read the whole thread and it's a great saga! Glad you are coping so well, and looking forward to the outcome!

FancyPuffin Tue 12-Mar-13 17:05:06

shock

<Firmly marks place for outcome>

<Cheers on sixlostmonkeys >

sixlostmonkeys Wed 13-Mar-13 09:45:57

Thanks for all the support! smile I really do appreciate it.

I'm glad that you are responding by saying how crazy it is etc. It is reassuring to know that others view this as absurd otherwise I will start to doubt myself.

The amount of time this has taken up annoys me. I struggle as it is to get everything done ie keep up to the house, run a small business. (my health slows me down. I shout at my health for this but it doesn't listen grin ) The most upsetting times though have been when I have had to fill in court papers instead of taking DS out somewhere with his camera (he is 16 and at Art College)
A few weeks ago, it hit me that DS had been listening to me talking about Ms Fruitloop far too much, so, when he came home from college I gave him a few pounds and told him I was sorry and to go buy himself a little treat. He looked at me, then, pulled something out of his bag. He had bought me something to cheer me up!

It is stressful at times. As the lady at the Court Centre told me, I have to treat this the same as if it were a claim for £15,000 and not just £15. If I fail to follow the procedure of it all, miss a deadline or fill something in incorrectly, then I 'could' end up with CCJ against me. So, I worry that my forms will get lost in the post and I will be non the wiser until it is too late.

The real stress will come when it actually reaches court. I get so nervous at such things. I don't know why I get nervous, I know there's no need, but, I do.
A few years ago I had to attend court. I was witness for the good guys that time smile The night before I couldn't sleep. At 2am I convinced myself that the buttons on my blouse would pop open as I stood up there next to the judge, so, I ended up coming downstairs and re-sewing all the buttons grin

fergoose Wed 13-Mar-13 10:48:38

I cannot believe this fruitloop is allowed to bring this case against you. Will it be a local court, you can apply for it to be local to you I think? Any idea of a date? It won't get stopped before then unless you pay up or they drop the case I guess?

FancyPuffin Wed 13-Mar-13 10:53:14

Can you counter sue for your costs and for harassment?

*Disclaimer I may be channeling Judge Judy here.

fergoose Wed 13-Mar-13 11:32:54

I was wondering that - sue for stress?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now