The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Selling expensive phone on eBay

(12 Posts)
Spookymowow Wed 09-Jan-13 19:19:28

Hello thank you for any advice in advance, I am quite new to selling on ebay and have only sold small value items up till now.

I am selling an expensive phone on eBay. Is there anything I should do to protect myself? I know eBay tends to favour buyers in disputes. Also I am a bit worried about the buyer as they have taken ages to pay and I have had to open an unpaid item case with eBay.

Really worried about sending it if they do pay now.

orangepudding Wed 09-Jan-13 19:26:02

Offer it on a cash on collection basis only.

If you do send it to a buyer make sure you have marked all pieces of the phone and photographed the marks in case you get a different phone on return.

I would in all honesty take it to somewhere like CEX rather than sell it on eBay.

NatashaBee Wed 09-Jan-13 19:29:05

I agree, sell it to CEX or similar. Ebay is too much hassle. I think you have to offer paypal and for certain high-risk items, paypal will hold the money until the buyer leaves you good feedback.

Ebayaholic Wed 09-Jan-13 19:31:18

Hi it's been a while since I sold a phone but definitely send special delivery (not just recorded) or even better, cash on collection. Doing it as an auction rather than buy it now might help stop the overseas scammers to some extent, as they like to end the auction then ask you to post it to another address overseas. Restrict sale to the uk using filters as well.
I would be worried about someone trying to swap a broken phone for your phone by saying it arrived broken then sending you a different phone back. Make sure you note the IMEI.
The buyer central and seller central boards on ebay will have loads more advice.

PoohBearsHole Wed 09-Jan-13 19:58:20

There are invisible markers which can be very handy, a couple of quid I think.

Spookymowow Wed 09-Jan-13 21:08:41

Thank you for the replies and advice, the auction ended Sunday 30th December. I did not offer cash on collection maybe I should have done. I can close the case tomorrow and get my final value fees back. I am really hoping they do not pay before then so i can do that. They are meant to be paying me through paypal and I was going to send it with Royal Mail.

They sound so dodgey saying they will pay me "ASAP" and "as soon as they get the money together". Why bid on it if they don't have the money?

That is what I am worried about the buyer swapping the phone or parts if it and not being able to prove it?

What is CEX? Is it like cash converters or similar shops?

Thanks again

fergoose Wed 09-Jan-13 21:10:28

well royal mail will only cover it if you send special delivery - recorded only covers up to £47. So you need to send by the correct method. but there is nothing to stop the buyer claiming it is faulty and returning a different handset and getting all their money refunded.

hippoCritt Wed 09-Jan-13 21:12:12

Cex is similar to cash converters, or try O2 recycle to see how much you would get in cash, they also offer an increased amount if you are paid in amazon vouchers.

Spookymowow Wed 09-Jan-13 22:45:41

Oh would myhermes be ok? Really hope they just don't pay now.

I have had a look on the CEX website it looks good thanks to every who mentioned it and for everyone else's advice. I should have come here first then I would never had listed it!

Spookymowow Thu 10-Jan-13 12:57:22

That buyer was completely crazy when I tried to close the unpaid item case I accidentally clicked on the option of them having paid me when they still haven't. Sorted it out with eBay to get my final value fees back, but the buyer has now sent me a message saying I have to send the phone to them because I said they have paid! They have not paid through eBay PayPal or any other way and they know this!

If they leave me bad feed back can I get it removed?

fergoose Thu 10-Jan-13 13:33:07

yes it can be removed - the option should be removed anyway after the unpaid case.

Spookymowow Thu 10-Jan-13 17:34:33

Oh good thank you

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now