The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

paypal for 'collection only' items?

(15 Posts)
MousyMouse Tue 08-Jan-13 21:05:09

selling a couple of larger items that cannot be posted.
have heard about this paypal trap (no mention of this whatsoever when clicking the collection only box when listing) where people pick up but then make 'item not received' claim.
would it be a good idea to have a receipt that is signed by both seller and buyer/collector? or only accept cash?

OscarPistoriusBitontheside Tue 08-Jan-13 21:17:49

Only accept cash. My friend did a PayPal for collection only and the buggers recalled the payment. £215 my friends have been left out of pocket.

amazingmumof6 Tue 08-Jan-13 21:19:29

yes, you can say cash only or they can pay by PayPal before picking up!
also mention that you'll take a photo of buyer and item as proof of receipt.

we had a piano delivered before Christmas. the seller does this a lot and has a keep or return guarantee and didn't ask for cash payment or PayPal payment until it was in the house, but asked permission to take a photo of piano and me standing next to it as proof of delivery. we paid via PayPal the same day.

MousyMouse Tue 08-Jan-13 21:25:50

thanks.
dh already put some items in, will give him the ideas.

EldonAve Tue 08-Jan-13 21:27:43

cash only

MousyMouse Tue 08-Jan-13 21:27:52

another question: if the buyer recalls payment can we then claim it back using signed receipt/photo?

fergoose Tue 08-Jan-13 22:18:10

cash only - a photo or a signed receipt are utterly worthless if there is a paypal chargedback. Without online proof of delivery you will lose your money, no exceptions.

A signed receipt photo is a total waste of time.

PoohBearsHole Wed 09-Jan-13 11:47:34

Fergoose is the goddess wink of ebay - never do paypal for collection only as months later regardless they can say they never recieved it and hey presto you still have to pay the money back. Not everyone is nice, most are completely out for getting what they want for nothing!

I purchased something via ebay for collection only and paid via paypal - I am nice but I wanted to shout at the women NO NO NO NO NO cash all the way because I have 90 days to say I didn't recieve it!

If I have a collection item on and someone pays via paypal I immediately refund the buyer and if they then don't want it I know where they are coming from! As far as ebay is concerned protect, protect, protect yourself as they aren't going to protect you as a seller.

fergoose Wed 09-Jan-13 12:12:59

ha - thank you for calling me a goddess! Having the worst day and I feel bit better now smile

PoohBearsHole Wed 09-Jan-13 12:26:32

My pleasure - I could refer to you as the Font too! Of all Ebay Knowledge grin

One23 Mon 14-Jan-13 13:16:49

Agree with the others, signed receipt not worth pish! Cash only, definitely not Paypal for collection only.

oneofeach2010 Mon 14-Jan-13 14:59:29

I have just sold something which stipulated cash on collection, but they have paid by Paypal. If I refund them the amount, I incur charges. What do people normally do regarding this. I shouldn't be out of pocket because they buyer doesn't read the info properly!?
Any advice?

fergoose Mon 14-Jan-13 15:09:13

you will just have to refund them in full and request cash - nothing else you can do really

PoohBearsHole Mon 14-Jan-13 17:24:12

oneofeach - you shouldn't incur charges, they will refund you the charges won't they for the sum they took? (paypal that is)

MousyMouse Wed 16-Jan-13 19:59:38

thanks all.
all items gone, paid for in cash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now