The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Bought a fake item...

(16 Posts)
BlackSwan Wed 02-Jan-13 20:49:37

Looked real in pictures, but in the flesh it is 100% fake. What should I do? How do I go about returning it for a refund? At what point do you alert Ebay?
HEPL

fergoose Wed 02-Jan-13 20:52:52

have you contacted the seller? - if not do that first

if no joy open not as described dispute in the resolution centre in ebay, return with signature to seller to prove delivery then ebay will refund you in full. You will just have to bear the cost of the return, unless the seller is decent to give you return costs back too.

diddiehunter Wed 02-Jan-13 20:53:03

if you think its fake and the seller stated that its real then contact ebay straight away!

BlackSwan Wed 02-Jan-13 21:01:55

Contacted them, but only just now. Thanks for the advice. If I don't get agreement to refund me in full I will report to Ebay. He has until tomorrow.

fergoose Wed 02-Jan-13 21:03:52

and return with proof of delivery too - not just proof of dispatch.

BlackSwan Wed 02-Jan-13 21:06:23

Yes definitely. Feel like such a fool.

fergoose Wed 02-Jan-13 21:09:23

why? how were you meant to know they were selling fakes.

Make sure you leave appropriate feedback and stars too once it is finished - warn other buyers, etc.

Ohhelpohnoitsa Wed 02-Jan-13 21:10:04

i am of the opinion that if they sold it in the first place, they have no integrity and therefore will not play fair re. a refund (bitter from experience). Go through Ebay asap - unless the seller refunds you straight away (unlikely). some people have no shame.

Ponders Wed 02-Jan-13 21:23:22

I had this with a pair of Nike hi-tops - when I messaged the seller to say they were clearly fake (had labels saying made in China/Vietnam/somewhere else on tongue/inside shoe/on box) he fell over himself to refund every penny (including my return postage)

still wonder if I should have reported him to ebay as well blush

BlackSwan Wed 02-Jan-13 21:28:56

I will leave feedback. And may report regardless, but what do they do about it? Do they ever shut down fake sellers?

Bugsylugs Wed 02-Jan-13 21:32:00

Ebay have a fake policy I think. I tried to sell a kids tacksuit which I am absolutely sure is real gift from USA. Kept having messages saying I could not list it they do not allow fakes, item would be withdrawn and account could be suspended. So I recommend contacting ebay if no joy with seller

buttercrumble Wed 02-Jan-13 21:41:26

I bought a fake chloe handbag once. I sent the seller a firm but polite message and she refunded my money. I stated that i would be reporting her, but it never came to that......

BlackSwan Wed 02-Jan-13 22:25:39

Once bitten... I won't be bidding for a long time...

fergoose Wed 02-Jan-13 23:11:56

well - don't let one unscrupulous seller put you off. Some items are prone to be fakes, designer clothing and footwear is one.

diddiehunter Thu 03-Jan-13 14:00:04

Usually, if its too good to be true, it probably is! Somerhing so cheap its a steal....then ur probs being stolen from yourself! Ebay is a pretty safe site and u get full support from ebay. Safest auctionsite around id say! wink

Ponders Thu 03-Jan-13 14:06:19

my fake Nikes weren't even cheap!

well, they were £60, maybe they'd have been more in an official Nike shop but similar ones in a local shop - different colours - were £60 too

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now