The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

How long do I leave it before contacting seller?

(11 Posts)
TwitchyTail Mon 31-Dec-12 08:10:05

Ah that's good to know Sarahtigh - just assumed the box would be ticked but maybe he hasn't. Warning buyers is a good idea!

sarahtigh Sun 30-Dec-12 22:32:16

not everyone actually ticks the dispatch box when they sedn so does not necessarily mean it is not on its way as it appears you bought on either christmas eve or christmas day it is quite normal for people to have two days off, I think expecting a reply within 2 days over christmas is a bit much,

1-2 business days was thursday/ friday for dispatch and obviously with 3-5 courier (working days) that could been friday 4th january or monday 7th for delivery

there are 3 offical holidays (4 in scotland) so what would normally take a week could easily be 10 days plus as many places have skeleton staff between christmas and new year

i have warned my buyers that will not be dispatched from scotland until 3rd january

BodyOfEeyore Sat 29-Dec-12 23:13:18

That's good.

TwitchyTail Sat 29-Dec-12 20:02:20

Reasonably good news - I sent another message to the seller and he has replied to my question about the item. He didn't answer my question about when it will be sent, but at least I know he exists and sounds normal, so I'll just be patient now!

TwitchyTail Sat 29-Dec-12 17:55:36

Thanks all. I wouldn't mind if he'd just reply to my message, or if he said he will be posting on x date. Just a bit worried by the silence hmm

fergoose Sat 29-Dec-12 17:43:24

48 hours for a reply to a message- if item not dispatched or no contact within a week of paying I ask them where the item is/when it will be dispatched.

GrumpySod Sat 29-Dec-12 17:39:06

X post... dispatched within 2 business days, which we haven't had very many of this week, to be fair.

GrumpySod Sat 29-Dec-12 17:38:19

When did you pay?

TwitchyTail Sat 29-Dec-12 17:35:57

Thanks BodyofEeyore, that's helpful. I wasn't thinking of opening a dispute (hopefully it won't come to that), just sending them another message asking when it might be sent. I'll give it a few more days.

It's just the fact that it was stated it would be dispatched within 1-2 days that bugs me - why not just say within 5 or 7 days, or whatever, if that's how long it would take him? Grr.

BodyOfEeyore Sat 29-Dec-12 17:29:58

I would expect a delay over the festive period. It's bad form for them not to have replied to a message within two days though. If I were you I woud wait until Wednesday (allowing for the fact that Tuesday is a bank holiday) before opening any dispute.

TwitchyTail Sat 29-Dec-12 17:18:22

I'm struggling with ebay etiquette!

I am brand new to ebay and have just bid and won on my very first item (a pram carrycot). The seller has 100% positive feedback from about 250 transactions, of which about a third were sales. It said on the blurb that the item would be dispatched within 1-2 days of funds being sent and cleared.

I paid by Paypal as soon as the auction ended, 4 days ago. Funds have gone through. According to ebay, the item hasn't been dispatched.

I've already sent a message to the seller two days ago about something else (the adaptors included) but have heard nothing back, so don't want to bombard him. I don't want to be impatient but we really could do with the item asap.

How long is it reasonable to wait before doing something?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now