The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Ebay Christmas challenge continuing into the new year!

(475 Posts)
Tortoise Mon 10-Dec-12 21:44:51

Last thread full so starting new one.
Still time to make a few quid before Christmas.
Could be good for those unwanted presents after Christmas! grin

I think so tortoise
I only sold one item out of over 40 despite a few watchers.

I would stick to my guns over the postage to australia is it still covered for damage or loss without the signed for ? And I would take pictures of the packing in case she claims damage and then the packing comes in to question. Good luck.

PurpleFrog Fri 22-Feb-13 16:44:29

Free listing this weekend! smile

Tortoise Fri 22-Feb-13 20:40:55

oh good, another free listing weekend grin

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 24-Feb-13 16:46:58

How's everyone getting on?

I'm selling odd bits and pieces. I have pretty much given up on auction-style listings and sticking with fixed price instead.

Listed a buggy last night, buyer emailed to make an offer this morning and they have just been to collect it, handing over cash at the same time smile...eBay at its best!!

Tortoise Sun 24-Feb-13 21:51:39

my items
Hope link works, I'm on my phone, laptop is no more sad .
Relisted everything and listed 15 new items. Hoping for so good bidding on some of these! grin

Tortoise Sun 24-Feb-13 21:53:35

Did that wrong lol. Realised as I posted that it was wrong!
Try again!
my listings grin

free listings are no good to me at the moment because a buyer left d.s. r of one on everything and another buyer left the same i am excluded as my seller account is below standard sad
I will need to sell a few things cheap and make sure i get great DSR 's before can take advantage of this again.

It is frustrating i know why one seller left the ratings as she never got her items I was dead honest and told her i could not find them and refunded her but she accused me of not wanting to sell if i could have found then i would have sent them asap but think they went in the donate bag.

i could have pretended to post and and said lost in post but I was honest.

The other one was abrand new leap pad in its original box with three new ganes and they left me a 1 for item as described and just a one word positive feedback. No complaint or communication?

My other feedback is fab and i worked hard to get it but now need to work a bit harder so will be listing a few things tomorrow or wed on ten days so finish after all the free listings finish.

PurpleFrog Mon 25-Feb-13 13:07:37

Well, I had great intentions but didn't manage to actually list anything. I sorted through another box from the spare room yesterday and did some "completed items research" into what items were actually worth selling. Then it got overcast and rained before I got any photos done. sad

But at least I have found some bits and pieces for a future FLW. I still have to find some related bits, as I like to list things like that at the same time and stress that I offer combined postage. I just need to get the descriptions written and photos done well before the next FLW (and pigs might fly grin).

Oh actually, I am lying, I did list and sell a Morrison's voucher at the weekend! So, I did make some progress!

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Mon 25-Feb-13 14:00:21

SNOWBall - how annoying! eBay is really crap sometimes sad

Purple - I try to do the same but often end up waiting months and months to get things listed so it's probably better for me to list the one or two things I've found straightaway.

I've got a couple of watchers on the things listed last night so fingers crossed someone comes along and buys them soon smile

HorribleMother Mon 25-Feb-13 14:45:09

Here's hoping for flying pigs in your near futures smile.

I've got 126 listings up. Sometimes it's helpful being mildly obsessive.

PurpleFrog Mon 25-Feb-13 14:50:04

SNOWBall - it is really crap that a couple of low feedbacks can really matter. I don't think the average buyer realises.

Hiccup - I know! I am too much of a perfectionist at times. When I do list things that are incomplete, I know that I will find the missing bit the week after it is posted. Which reminds me, I wonder if it is worth selling a pair of Barbie shoes that didn't get included in a sought-after set I sold last year... grin

Tortoise Mon 25-Feb-13 16:41:48

Oh SNOW how annoying. The dsr ratings really need changing. My boyfriend accidentally forgot to do the stars on an item he bought. Clicked leave feedback then realised. He didn't know it could affect a seller so much until I explained. There was no pop up box saying are you sure you want to leave no stars (or is it one on each at the start of feedback?).
I know from when I had low dsrs what a pain it is and not easy to rectify.

Thank you for your comments smile
I tried e-mailing the seller but she would not budge said I did not mind the negative as i did not keep my side of the transaction buthow can you leave a low score for item as described when you never got to examine it. I explained how it affects me but she said oh well you will just have to open another account. She is a business seller so you would think she might have changed them to a three and still left the neg but no sad

So head up and carry I hope to have a load of stuff on by weekend need to sell lots and get get great feedback to up my seller status.

Crossed fingers for flying pigs smile
And 126 listing well done you smile HM

PurpleFrog Tue 26-Feb-13 09:22:18

Tortoise - it doesn't matter if you leave no stars - it doesn't count towards the DSRs. That is why you can get different totals in the different categories in your DSRs - some buyers haven't filled in all of the categories. It is 1s and 2s that are the killer. The stars are optional, anyway...

When I was sorting through my box on Sunday I found some things that my mum had given to my sister and I to keep, as they may be worth something someday - e.g. Charles and Diana wedding crown (i.e. large coin), a teaspoon to commemorate the birth of Prince William - you get the idea! hmm Anyway, from my research, all of these things seem unlikely to reach more than 99p at present, however the enamal pin badge of a steam engine I bought on holiday around the same time might make me £4! grin

Should enlighten my deluded mother - dd was not impressed to be on the receiving end of similar Royal Jubilee tat souvenirs last year!

lljkk Netherlands Sat 02-Mar-13 16:41:22

Only 5% of my listings sold this week, and 2 of those were for DS! How rotten is it going for everyone else?

Tortoise Sat 02-Mar-13 17:01:28

DS2s Superdry coat is on nearly £30 so he will be able to buy a bigger one now off Ebay! (I picked his up in a charity shop for £2!! grin)

Got a few watchers on stuff and a few with bids.

LineRunner Sun 03-Mar-13 18:40:20

Hi again!

I was so knackered by my December 19th cut-off, and then we all got ill for Christmas and New Year, that I haven't listed anything since.

We (DS and myself) made more money just in late November and December than the whole of June-November put together.

Tortoise Wed 06-Mar-13 09:42:15

And my laptop saga continues!
Buyer gave tracking number to Ebay, Ebay refunded them. Laptop never arrived with me. Ebay saying it's been signed for, they told me the name and it's the buyers name!shock I haven't got a clue what's going on. Ebay say it's at a post office in London (im in Somerset!). Awaiting call back from resolution centre angry. Getting fed up now. I have no laptop and they have money back.

fergoose Wed 06-Mar-13 09:47:33

so buyer committed fraud then? In which case I would go to the police. And small claims court for your money too.

PurpleFrog Wed 06-Mar-13 11:08:10

Fingers crossed, Tortoise, that you get it all sorted out soon.

I still can't whip up any enthusiasm to get my next batch of stuff organised for listing. As my main aim is de-cluttering I should really be finding the bulkiest items to list first, and instead I was faffing around a fortnight ago with a box of coins and pin badges. Sigh!

I do hope it is free listing this weekend. I just need a few free evenings now to look out all the items that are bulky and will cost much more to post under the new April postage prices. grin

Tortoise Wed 06-Mar-13 11:32:26

Fergoose I have no idea. EBay haven't phoned back so I'm about to phone again and see what they say.
Couriers do struggle to find my house (even though it's along a main road into my town!) so maybe it got returned, I don't know. But I am worried.

Tortoise Wed 06-Mar-13 12:16:50

Ebay confirm sent to my address. Tracking says 3 attempted deliverys, 2 refused by addressee.
So it looks like parcel forces mistake.
I've contacted parcel force and now have to wait for a call back from them. I did get stroppy on the phone when she said needs to be collected from some post office/depot. O pointed out that that post office/depot is in London and I live in Somerset so kind of impossible to collect it! angry grin
I now have to wait for call back to find out what the hell happens now!

fergoose Wed 06-Mar-13 12:41:50

the buyer had the contract with parcel force so only they can claim if it is lost

what does the buyer say - you mailed/phoned them?

Tortoise Wed 06-Mar-13 13:01:47

No I haven't but will do if I get no joy out of parcel force.
Ebay also said I'd already made an appeal and wouldn't be able to open another if there is a problem with it angry

fergoose Wed 06-Mar-13 13:20:33

I would contact the buyer and tell them you want your money back - and if you don't receive within a certain time frame you will go to small claims to start a claim.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now