The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Ebay Christmas challenge continuing into the new year!

(475 Posts)
Tortoise Mon 10-Dec-12 21:44:51

Last thread full so starting new one.
Still time to make a few quid before Christmas.
Could be good for those unwanted presents after Christmas! grin

LineRunner Wed 12-Dec-12 19:15:04

They are actually fab, lljkk.

dizzyday07 Wed 12-Dec-12 19:30:15

Snow - your little dress up dolls have Free P&P in the title but you have postage down as £4 in the listing.

Lljkk - they look lovely and warm.

I have a few relists including a few BIN Nintendo DS games but I think I may already have reached the target! Have used the ££ to buy DD's christmas presents and some new clothes for her.

LineRunner Wed 12-Dec-12 19:34:25

I've bought my dad a couple of nice things for Christmas out of the loot. I can even afford to post them first class!

Thank you I will edit the postage now.
Allowing for first class recorded by saying free so hopefully not get marked down for excessive postage iyswim?

Kickers have sold and a few people watching my other boots. I would not mind keeping the doc martens which is why I have put them at a decent price.

Cheers for the comments smile I have a collect plus near me.

lljkk Netherlands Thu 13-Dec-12 10:31:33

Dizzy, Linerunner: those are the right answers. Thank you grin

LineRunner Thu 13-Dec-12 23:32:43

Oh Lord. Last things selling for Christmas.

Every buyer wanting to change the rules. Big sigh.

lljkk Netherlands Fri 14-Dec-12 07:47:55

Change the rules how, LineRunner?

LineRunner Fri 14-Dec-12 13:53:38

lljkk, I have one buyer wanting to change the delivery address after paying with PayPal (No to that one), one wanting to end the auction early in order pay less than the BiN offer (No thanks), one wanting to come and collect something that costs £4 and weighs an ounce to post .... oh and someone's just retracted a seventy quid bid because they 'entered the wrong amount'.

Is it just me having a funny 24 hours? confused

amck5700 Fri 14-Dec-12 14:13:41

Maybe a lot of inexperienced people braving ebay as it is close to Christmas?

I had my first person come and collect something and pay in cash - I was a bit wary but it was fine. It was a jacket btw and it would have cost more to post than the maximum 4.75 I was allowed to charge so I was happy enough to do it - item was a BIN for 12 quid and the woman lived reasonably local. Kids and I went to Mcdonalds for tea on the proceeds smile

amck5700 Fri 14-Dec-12 14:15:10

I am about to post the last 3 things before Christmas - Have a few BINs listed one has had a couple of watchers for ages but nothing doing on the rest. The shop is now shut until the new year - haven't even done any cards this year yet!!

LineRunner Fri 14-Dec-12 14:18:02

Shutting Up Shop sounds quite Christmassy smile

amck5700 Fri 14-Dec-12 14:33:18

If i don't then we will be living in a pigsty and Santa wont be able to get in to leave me new things which I can sell next christmas

Me too.
Last push all stuff ending today and tomorrow. my stuff and that is it smile
Got 6 watchers on my kickers now and no other bids I am hoping for a last minute rush fingers crossed smile

dizzyday07 Sat 15-Dec-12 12:42:19

I sold another kids game that I will post on Monday. Will restart in the New Year

Tortoise Sat 15-Dec-12 20:28:51

All mine end today and tomorrow.
Very little interest at the moment. Hoping for some sales! smile

PurpleFrog Sat 15-Dec-12 20:40:11

I have 12 things finishing in the next few days - only one has bids so far, and only 3 others have any watchers. There is one bundle I may stick on Gumtree if it doesn't go tomorrow as it is quite heavy and may sell better that way. I'm wishing I hadn't invested so much time and effort in a final big push last weekend....

LineRunner Sat 15-Dec-12 21:22:42

Last posting dates looming, I suppose. I think listings need to say 'If you pay by X then I will be able to post within the last advertised posting dates for Xmas.' A lot of listings I've been looking at (for an xbox game that DS wants) are really vague, and I wouldn't buy from them tbh.

Not even a sniff of interest in the Wii console, board and all the Wii fit stuff. Will somone want it for a New Year resolution plan, I am wondering. I've got it as collection only. Would anyone seriously want it couriering? <needs to go and wrap presents and stop thinking about eBay>

lljkk Netherlands Sun 16-Dec-12 16:01:52

The effort will have been worthwhile, PurpleFrog, just keep relisting. There's stuff that doesn't sell often but people will still pay good money for when they see it, then there's stuff you can only shift if priced at 99p. Don't reduce price unless you feel you have to in order to sell.

Argh, I sent something 2nd yesterday & that should have gone first & visa versa. Annoying as the person who got first class was a rather late payer. Not sure if I haven't been more of a numpty, though. Just hope the item sent 2nd class arrives for Xmas eve. I got an excellent price for it.

I bet Wii stuff will go well in New Year, you watch. I have a juicer listed that I don't expect to sell until then.

I've got 6 new listings scheduled, I cannot stop finding stuff to flog. I'm eyeing up the kids's Islabikes, even (which would horrify them but they are rather underused bikes). Could bring in £2k flogging all the nice bikes they've got, though (muse).

That 30 day free listing BIN splurge was a Godsend, though. I've shifted so many low value items that way.

I am pretty sure most buyers don't use snipers, you know (I don't use snipers). The number of messages I get saying "Are you going to relist because I forgot to bid!?"

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sun 16-Dec-12 17:31:37

Yay, sold two buggies today smile!

One is the buggy that was returned a couple of weeks ago so fingers crossed this buyer will be happier with it than the last. They should be happy...I have dropped the price considerably just to get it out of the house before Christmas.

The other I sold to a friend so not sure if that counts.

Really pleased to create a bit more space in this cluttered house! Oh and no more buggy purchasing grin.

No interest in the rest of my Wii listings though sad. After the initial buying-frenzy, I thought it'd all go...oh well, will keep trying!

LineRunner Sun 16-Dec-12 18:14:41

Yes, I think I'll re-list the Wii stuff for the New Year Resolutions market!

Just can't be arsed this week with a potential buyer coming to try it out anyway. I've made a lot of money on eBay since June - must have cleared £800 - and we can finally see the floor of our living room again. Maybe time to wind down for Christmas, finally.

lljkk You should be OK, 2nd class last posting isn't till tomorrow, unless it's somewhere remote?

My total is now £450.02 and that's it for before Christmas.

PurpleFrog Mon 17-Dec-12 12:44:41

I just sold just the one item last night, after all. I have 4 more remaining from my 30-day BIN FLW - 3 finish tonight and the other tomorrow. I don't really have any hopes for them. At least one of the items will be charity-shopped if it doesn't go this time. I got one request for a BIN price for something on Saturday, but said I would rather leave the auction to run (it had 3 watchers). I can't decide whether to contact her again and see if she still wants it.

lljkk - I know that the effort will pay off eventually, I was questioning the wisdom of spending the time now. I think I would have been better off spending that weekend writing cards, buying presents, putting up the tree or tidying the house - all things that STILL have to be done! Panic! Aarrghhhh!

IwishyouaMerryChristmas Mon 17-Dec-12 12:55:27

lljkk. Give me a shout if you decide to sell the bikes!

Mirage Mon 17-Dec-12 14:27:50

I'm not relisting until after Christmas now.I have some dolls prams ect that the dds have only just decided to part with and it is too late to ebay them now.hmm Might try Preloved,facebook or Gumtree after Christmas.

Bakingnovice Mon 17-Dec-12 21:58:19

I'm planning on a massive eBay sell from jan. does stuffs actually sell
Though? You'd think people wouldn't to buy anything in jan!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now