The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Ebay Christmas challenge continuing into the new year!

(475 Posts)
Tortoise Mon 10-Dec-12 21:44:51

Last thread full so starting new one.
Still time to make a few quid before Christmas.
Could be good for those unwanted presents after Christmas! grin

PurpleFrog Thu 27-Jun-13 10:21:04

Well, I think this may well be my last lot until after the summer holidays. I managed to get most of the summery stuff listed. I really need to spend my time more effectively and get on with the general de-cluttering. I have some toys and book I am keeping until October/November to list and hopefully will have more stuff to join it by then.

lljkk Netherlands Thu 27-Jun-13 20:17:34

thx for asking, I gave up on getting the FVF back, I can't see what more I could do that wouldn't cause Ebay to ban me anyway. sad
So at the moment I am still £58 down (presuming I count £3 net profit in last week's sales as working off that debt).

Bakingnovice Tue 02-Jul-13 11:13:52

Oh no. Feel really outraged on your behalf lljkk.

PurpleFrog Tue 02-Jul-13 11:41:45

lljkk, I know you don't want to dwell on it but what could you have done differently? Maybe I am misinterpreting the facts, but it looks to me that if you are not 100% sure that eBay will find in your favour you should agree to mutually cancel once the case has been opened. Is that correct? It is a real pain that it had to happen with a large, expensive item.

PurpleFrog Wed 03-Jul-13 14:34:13

I have just checked the MoneySavingExpert forum and the next free listing is next weekend 13-14/07/13. That's a pain as it is too close to my holidays.

I sold 5 out of my 17 items - 2 on Sunday and 3 last night. Last night's have all now been paid for so I will package them tonight. Since the next FLW is inconvenient I can't decide whether to pay to re-list my remaining summer stuff, or just leave it until next year... or put them in the clothes4cash bag I'm slowly building up!

Tortoise Wed 03-Jul-13 18:25:23

Oh, I was hoping for one this weekend.
We go away on the 20th so too close to our holiday too. Unless I list for 10 days and send as soon as get back.
Will be in UK so I will still be able to reply to messages.

lljkk Netherlands Wed 03-Jul-13 18:40:02

Hi, urk, lessons I wish I had learned:

Don't ever spend any ££ on packing materials (I spent £7).
Don't send anything that costs more than £20 to send (Ebay have a great deal worked out with Parcelforce, usually £15 delivery).
If selling something well-used but potentially still valuable then
* don't bother with a long detailed listing (nobody reads it).
* talk it down and only offer local collection
Never contest a case with seller; buyer can only lose if they don't return by tracked delivery (I know because I was that buyer, one time)

I get very confused trying to figure out what else I could have done different. Maybe somehow got buyer to cancel the transaction before he had a chance to raise a case & escalate.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Thu 04-Jul-13 22:03:13

lljkk - how frustrating sad. Interesting about the eBay/parcelforce deal on large items. I'll have to look into that. The last couple of things I've posted with a courier have been £20+ but that included insurance up to £500.

I've hardly sold anything for months.

After a bit of a buggy binge, I have now sold all the excess but am still looking to replace one of them...I just don't know what I want instead blushgrin...so I'll stick with what I've got for now!

I listed a few buggy accessories week before last and everything sold within a couple of days on fixed price listings which I was really pleased about but a bit surprised when I went to post them. I haven't had to deal with the new RM pricing before and had to bring two items home again to repack smaller hmmgrin.

Fixed price listings are definitely my plan for the foreseeable. Although, I think I'm going to stop offering 'Best Offer' because it seems people automatically go in with lower offers. Hmm, or maybe that's the point and I should just start off with a higher price confused.

Feeling motivated tonight so might get a couple of things on and see how they go.

Tortoise Sat 06-Jul-13 08:33:51

Did anyone get a special message from EBay? I'm special and have zero insertion fees on up to 200 items this weekend!
I'm very happy about that and will make full use of it lol!

PurpleFrog Sat 06-Jul-13 10:02:40

I'm special as well!

And I had just convinced myself not to list anything until I return from my holiday. Oh well - I think I'll at least do the re-lists. I'm just worried that if anything goes wrong I'll be away if buyers want to return purchases etc..

lljkk Netherlands Sat 06-Jul-13 10:42:05

Did anyone see the change to free up to 12 pictures change from 1 July?

PurpleFrog Sat 06-Jul-13 10:52:06

Yes - but it is 1st August the photo change comes in, not 1st July. That's good news - I have been using photobucket for the past year or so to embed extra photos in the listing text if necessary.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 06-Jul-13 11:09:46

Is FL open to everyone this weekend?

Also, will free photos be for all categories forever or limited time?

lljkk Netherlands Sat 06-Jul-13 11:13:17

Not open to me! I think the up to 12 free photos thing is until future notice, and on all categories. So many people were doing photobucket or other links out, probably no point in the admin for the tiny number of us still using regular photos.

Tortoise Sat 06-Jul-13 18:47:54

FL is only for special people this weekend (like me. grin
I've sorted out a few items of new maternity clothes plus will do relists.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 06-Jul-13 19:35:53

What criteria do you have to meet to become special?
<sadfeels very unspecial> grin

PurpleFrog Sat 06-Jul-13 19:47:47

dd has had another clearout. I have just sorted through 30-40 books checking potential prices on eBay/Amazon etc. It was very depressing. sad There are too many commercial booksellers selling things BIN for 99p with postage that I couldn't hope to match. I don't know if the new picture standards that are coming in the autumn will put an end to these, as sellers will have to provide at least one photo to list an item. I think I'll hold on to most of the books for now and see about bundling some for listing just before Christmas.

Well I got the email today as well 200 free listings smile Will try my best thank you ebay.

purple ... I know its hard with books as soo many are listed and akot are cheaper on Amazon. i have loads too but I think I will list them after summer.
Nice one tortoise I would not have checked my inbox if i had not of read this thread it was not in my ebay messages smile

Tortoise Sat 06-Jul-13 22:43:32

SNOW Good luck with your listings.

I've got some items done. Put them on got 5 days,need some quick sales before going on holiday in 2 weeks.

Tortoise Sat 06-Jul-13 22:45:04

*for not got!

Me too Tortoise we go away when the kids break up and its not flipping cheap.
Every penny helps so putting mine on for 5 days but been busy today so will be very industrious tomorrow ;)

PurpleFrog Tue 09-Jul-13 12:51:04

Well, I decided in the end not to list anything at all - at least that helps to cut down the list of things that have to be done before going away! I am, however, keeping my feedback topped up by buying bits and pieces for our holiday! grin

PurpleFrog Sat 10-Aug-13 13:12:09

I'm now back from my holiday and I have had an email to say it is free listing this weekend. I suspect eBay is still quite slow at the moment, but will probably do some relists. I'll also see if I have any schoolwear to list, but otherwise I think I'll try and find things for next month.

I have got a big bag from one of these clothes4cash type places and think I'll just get rid of most of my remaining kid's shoes and supermarket kidswear through that.

Bakingnovice Sun 11-Aug-13 13:20:52

I've listed some kids clothes today. It's so hard to sell on eBay. It's v quiet on there. I'm tempted to go to cash4 clothes type places too. eBay can be v demoralising.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now