The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Ebay Christmas challenge continuing into the new year!

(475 Posts)
Tortoise Mon 10-Dec-12 21:44:51

Last thread full so starting new one.
Still time to make a few quid before Christmas.
Could be good for those unwanted presents after Christmas! grin

lljkk Netherlands Sun 31-Mar-13 12:46:18

I will sit with a glass of wine & slowly work thru my relists this evening updating postage as I go, best as I can. Luckily if only 10% sell each time I can't make too many costly mistakes. Also, I suspect Ebay will be very slow next 2 weeks anyway, what with the holidays.

I printed out all my listings on 26 Dec 2012 & resolved that anything I still have on 26-12-2013 I will bin or take to charity shop.

roosterroo Mon 01-Apr-13 16:27:29

hi ladies
any experience of how long and e-chq will take - I have a payment pending but uncleared, when I look on paypal its an e-chq didnt realise that they exsisted!
Bits also listed here;
www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lrud3454/m.html?item=261190481044&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Bit unsure what the post office charges will be like when I actually post these!

Tortoise Mon 01-Apr-13 19:30:27

e-cheque normally 5-7 days.

I've done no listing so far but will try and get relists done later at least.

roosterroo Mon 01-Apr-13 19:33:00

great not too long thengrin now this is new app works on my phonewine

Bakingnovice Mon 01-Apr-13 20:58:15

The app is good. But has anyone else found it randomly charges fees? Even on a flw?

Tortoise Tue 02-Apr-13 08:01:18

Baking A few times the app has added picture pack to my listing on the app. I just schedule then edit on the laptop. The only thing I need on the app is the ability to send an invoice for payment.

INeedThatForkOff Wed 03-Apr-13 23:11:29

Just butting in - to the person who asked how they check parcel size, it's with a slot fucking bastards

Tortoise Wed 03-Apr-13 23:23:50

Yes just like the large letter slot. I had to pay £8 for a parcel today that I charged £3 for (very late payer!). Was light enough for small parcel but too long angry . Cost at least £3 more than small parcel. I told her RM will lose business because I could send it for just over £6 myhermes.
Only didn't take it home with me because I had a load of shopping to do and was on foot.

PurpleFrog Wed 03-Apr-13 23:31:59

Thanks people... sorry you fell foul of the new rules already, Tortoise! So I guess that means that lumpy jumpers etc. will fail the test. Sigh!

I have 9 items on at present - 7 re-lists and 2 new listings. Luckily none will go above small parcel but I think I will have to investigate couriers for future items.

Bakingnovice Thu 04-Apr-13 13:45:04

Luckily everything I have is baby stuff so I can still send for £2.60. Anything bigger though and I will have to use my Hermes. Royal mail are just ridic at the moment. My poor post office, the guy said they were struggling as it is.

PurpleFrog Thu 04-Apr-13 14:18:16

I will have to think carefully about some stuff that I was thinking about selling. For example I have an empty Lego Primo tub with a frog head. It was used to keep wax crayons in so needs a good clean before it can be sold. I checked last year and empty tubs DID sell, but I don't think that will be the case now with postage at least £3.99 for a CollectPlus Courier. Sigh!

lljkk Netherlands Sat 06-Apr-13 11:25:24

Wow, only 2.5% of my stuff converted. Record low! I don't think it's postage change, either, just buyers aren't interested (away for hols).

PurpleFrog Sat 06-Apr-13 16:10:40

My 9 items finish on this Sunday or Monday evening. Only one has a bid so far. I haven't spent a lot of time putting up new listings in the past few months so I am not too bothered if they sell this time or not. School holidays are often a slow time. I am on holiday next week so hope to continue with my de-cluttering.

I have spent some time over the past few days looking at my DSRs. I got a message from eBay out of the blue last month telling me that they had taken the following action to benefit my seller performance record:

Removed low detailed seller ratings
Dispatch time: 1

I was shocked because I hadn't noticed this at all. I had noticed, though, that my average ratings have been creeping down over the past few months. So, I have been running lots of reports with item numbers to try and identify which buyers have left me the 4s and 3s, so that I can work out how to improve things. I have come to the conclusion that it is just a couple of people, who have no real grounds for complaint, and probably always mark people lower than I would. Of course, since I haven't sold much in the past 3 months this has more of an effect than it normally would.

Tortoise Sun 07-Apr-13 09:48:23

So far 1 item has 1 bid out of 64 listings! hmm School holiday effect no doubt.

Tortoise Tue 09-Apr-13 17:39:23

Bloody laptop is cursed! Ebay did refund for the damage during shipping.
Relisted it cheap with very clear faulty info.
Sold for £46.
Buyer pays up, then asks question about the OS being genuine. Which it is but upgraded so not on sticker on laptop.
So now they want full refund or £21 part refund. angry
Will have to try a 2nd chance offer I suppose. angry

LineRunner Tue 09-Apr-13 17:54:55

I haven't sold anything since December. And my little digital camera has broken.

I am seriously wondering if it's worth it to start selling again, or simply to wait till November and December when people seem to buy anything and don't mind the postage - i.e. sell the whole year's stuff in one big flurry? and then give the new camera to my DS for Christmas

lljkk Netherlands Tue 09-Apr-13 18:58:55

Sorry to hear about cursed laptop.

Normally summer months are even worse for selling then Easter, sigh. A pause until September might make sense.

Bakingnovice Wed 10-Apr-13 13:13:32

It's very slow. Such a shame as it took me a decade to kick my arse into gear and start selling!

PurpleFrog Thu 11-Apr-13 21:06:07

Just had an email - free listing this weekend!

More info

Tortoise Thu 11-Apr-13 22:04:21

ooh that's good news smile

lljkk Netherlands Fri 12-Apr-13 10:20:55

Thanks so much for letting us know, PF, it's not in the announcements section.

PurpleFrog Fri 12-Apr-13 15:26:08

lljkk - it is now! But I notice that the last FLW a fortnight ago never made it into announcements at all! Very odd. confused

I am just very surprised to be emailed IN ADVANCE this time and not in the early hours of Saturday morning. Maybe they are reacting to the fact I haven't listed much recently. grin

Bakingnovice Sat 13-Apr-13 17:44:21

I'm v new to eBay selling but I've found that stuff hardly sells after flw's. Is that normal?

I'm still in shock that people are willing to buy stuff for 99p or a few quid and then part with £3+ for postage.

lljkk Netherlands Sat 13-Apr-13 18:55:58

I think stuff is hardly selling at all right now.

roosterroo Sun 14-Apr-13 16:35:37

So has anyone else had an experience with an e-chq? the first one waited full 9 days and then it didnt go through. I politely contacted to ask if they still want the item and now I have another e-chq pending!

have done a little listing today and am considering blocking e-chq (if you can ?)

www.ebay.co.uk/sch/lrud3454/m.html?item=261197630065&ssPageName=STRK%3AMESELX%3AIT&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2562

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now