This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Ebay Christmas challenge continuing into the new year!

(475 Posts)
Tortoise Mon 10-Dec-12 21:44:51

Last thread full so starting new one.
Still time to make a few quid before Christmas.
Could be good for those unwanted presents after Christmas! grin

lljkk Sun 31-Mar-13 12:46:18

I will sit with a glass of wine & slowly work thru my relists this evening updating postage as I go, best as I can. Luckily if only 10% sell each time I can't make too many costly mistakes. Also, I suspect Ebay will be very slow next 2 weeks anyway, what with the holidays.

I printed out all my listings on 26 Dec 2012 & resolved that anything I still have on 26-12-2013 I will bin or take to charity shop.

roosterroo Mon 01-Apr-13 16:27:29

hi ladies
any experience of how long and e-chq will take - I have a payment pending but uncleared, when I look on paypal its an e-chq didnt realise that they exsisted!
Bits also listed here;

Bit unsure what the post office charges will be like when I actually post these!

Tortoise Mon 01-Apr-13 19:30:27

e-cheque normally 5-7 days.

I've done no listing so far but will try and get relists done later at least.

roosterroo Mon 01-Apr-13 19:33:00

great not too long thengrin now this is new app works on my phonewine

Bakingnovice Mon 01-Apr-13 20:58:15

The app is good. But has anyone else found it randomly charges fees? Even on a flw?

Tortoise Tue 02-Apr-13 08:01:18

Baking A few times the app has added picture pack to my listing on the app. I just schedule then edit on the laptop. The only thing I need on the app is the ability to send an invoice for payment.

INeedThatForkOff Wed 03-Apr-13 23:11:29

Just butting in - to the person who asked how they check parcel size, it's with a slot fucking bastards

Tortoise Wed 03-Apr-13 23:23:50

Yes just like the large letter slot. I had to pay £8 for a parcel today that I charged £3 for (very late payer!). Was light enough for small parcel but too long angry . Cost at least £3 more than small parcel. I told her RM will lose business because I could send it for just over £6 myhermes.
Only didn't take it home with me because I had a load of shopping to do and was on foot.

PurpleFrog Wed 03-Apr-13 23:31:59

Thanks people... sorry you fell foul of the new rules already, Tortoise! So I guess that means that lumpy jumpers etc. will fail the test. Sigh!

I have 9 items on at present - 7 re-lists and 2 new listings. Luckily none will go above small parcel but I think I will have to investigate couriers for future items.

Bakingnovice Thu 04-Apr-13 13:45:04

Luckily everything I have is baby stuff so I can still send for £2.60. Anything bigger though and I will have to use my Hermes. Royal mail are just ridic at the moment. My poor post office, the guy said they were struggling as it is.

PurpleFrog Thu 04-Apr-13 14:18:16

I will have to think carefully about some stuff that I was thinking about selling. For example I have an empty Lego Primo tub with a frog head. It was used to keep wax crayons in so needs a good clean before it can be sold. I checked last year and empty tubs DID sell, but I don't think that will be the case now with postage at least £3.99 for a CollectPlus Courier. Sigh!

lljkk Sat 06-Apr-13 11:25:24

Wow, only 2.5% of my stuff converted. Record low! I don't think it's postage change, either, just buyers aren't interested (away for hols).

PurpleFrog Sat 06-Apr-13 16:10:40

My 9 items finish on this Sunday or Monday evening. Only one has a bid so far. I haven't spent a lot of time putting up new listings in the past few months so I am not too bothered if they sell this time or not. School holidays are often a slow time. I am on holiday next week so hope to continue with my de-cluttering.

I have spent some time over the past few days looking at my DSRs. I got a message from eBay out of the blue last month telling me that they had taken the following action to benefit my seller performance record:

Removed low detailed seller ratings
Dispatch time: 1

I was shocked because I hadn't noticed this at all. I had noticed, though, that my average ratings have been creeping down over the past few months. So, I have been running lots of reports with item numbers to try and identify which buyers have left me the 4s and 3s, so that I can work out how to improve things. I have come to the conclusion that it is just a couple of people, who have no real grounds for complaint, and probably always mark people lower than I would. Of course, since I haven't sold much in the past 3 months this has more of an effect than it normally would.

Tortoise Sun 07-Apr-13 09:48:23

So far 1 item has 1 bid out of 64 listings! hmm School holiday effect no doubt.

Tortoise Tue 09-Apr-13 17:39:23

Bloody laptop is cursed! Ebay did refund for the damage during shipping.
Relisted it cheap with very clear faulty info.
Sold for £46.
Buyer pays up, then asks question about the OS being genuine. Which it is but upgraded so not on sticker on laptop.
So now they want full refund or £21 part refund. angry
Will have to try a 2nd chance offer I suppose. angry

LineRunner Tue 09-Apr-13 17:54:55

I haven't sold anything since December. And my little digital camera has broken.

I am seriously wondering if it's worth it to start selling again, or simply to wait till November and December when people seem to buy anything and don't mind the postage - i.e. sell the whole year's stuff in one big flurry? and then give the new camera to my DS for Christmas

lljkk Tue 09-Apr-13 18:58:55

Sorry to hear about cursed laptop.

Normally summer months are even worse for selling then Easter, sigh. A pause until September might make sense.

Bakingnovice Wed 10-Apr-13 13:13:32

It's very slow. Such a shame as it took me a decade to kick my arse into gear and start selling!

PurpleFrog Thu 11-Apr-13 21:06:07

Just had an email - free listing this weekend!

More info

Tortoise Thu 11-Apr-13 22:04:21

ooh that's good news smile

lljkk Fri 12-Apr-13 10:20:55

Thanks so much for letting us know, PF, it's not in the announcements section.

PurpleFrog Fri 12-Apr-13 15:26:08

lljkk - it is now! But I notice that the last FLW a fortnight ago never made it into announcements at all! Very odd. confused

I am just very surprised to be emailed IN ADVANCE this time and not in the early hours of Saturday morning. Maybe they are reacting to the fact I haven't listed much recently. grin

Bakingnovice Sat 13-Apr-13 17:44:21

I'm v new to eBay selling but I've found that stuff hardly sells after flw's. Is that normal?

I'm still in shock that people are willing to buy stuff for 99p or a few quid and then part with £3+ for postage.

lljkk Sat 13-Apr-13 18:55:58

I think stuff is hardly selling at all right now.

roosterroo Sun 14-Apr-13 16:35:37

So has anyone else had an experience with an e-chq? the first one waited full 9 days and then it didnt go through. I politely contacted to ask if they still want the item and now I have another e-chq pending!

have done a little listing today and am considering blocking e-chq (if you can ?)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now