The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

If I buy off ebay, but via paypal, am I protected from scams?

(12 Posts)
imogengladhart Wed 21-Nov-12 14:14:17

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

fergoose Wed 21-Nov-12 14:15:15

yes you can open a not received/not as described case via paypal if there is a problem

Prizepudding Wed 21-Nov-12 16:05:31

Ebay advises that they send an amended invoice via EBay to ensure protection, it is easy for the seller to do.

If you get an invoice not linked to the eBay item, PayPal ask for info regarding the purchase and if you click 'eBay', a warning pops up that you won't be protected by eBay. Not sure if sending a PayPal invoice not linked to the item is a way to avoid fees?

imogengladhart Wed 21-Nov-12 16:14:14

fergoose Wed 21-Nov-12 16:51:34

so this is an off ebay sale? - if so the seller shouldn't do that - you should ask him to set up a buy it now auction on ebay

imogengladhart Wed 21-Nov-12 21:04:42

Prizepudding Wed 21-Nov-12 21:19:45

As mentioned, eBay advise against it however you have to assess the risk. Like you, my seller didn't do it through eBay but the item was £5 so not a huge loss whereas you are talking about a lot more money. I would imagine with the feedback, etc it will be fine and I also thought like you that I had enough evidence if things went wrong so went for it. The item arrived fine, if going for it, do it through PayPal.

He is likely avoiding eBay as the fees on £150 would mean he would make even less.

fergoose Wed 21-Nov-12 21:21:12

you do have protection with paypal but the seller is breaking ebay rules doing an off ebay sale

Can't you find another seller though - he sounds obstructive now, he won't be any better if it all goes wrong I guess?

imogengladhart Thu 22-Nov-12 09:35:30

fergoose Thu 22-Nov-12 09:53:56

pay by credit card via paypal if you want extra protection

imogengladhart Thu 22-Nov-12 10:52:44

imogengladhart Fri 23-Nov-12 11:41:56

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now