The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Should they refund my return postage too?

(6 Posts)
stopthenoise Sun 18-Nov-12 13:54:41

I bought something for DS and not happy with it. It was listed as an interactive touch screen tablet for kids, similar looking to an ipad. It said it was new. One of the functions it said it had was a piano keyboard. Received it yesterday and it's a load of rubbish. It's not new and had obviously been played with a lot. I took it out the packaging and it had marks and scratches around the edges. The white 'test me' tab that you pull out to try it was just stuck on the outside of the box to make it look like it was still attatched to the toy. When the postman delivered it he practically threw it me saying he couldn't wait to get rid of it as it had been doing off in his bag all morning. The screen is some crappy hologram type thing that just looks awful and there is no piano keyboard function on it. I contacted the seller and they said I could return it for a refund but they won't pay my return postage. I'm really annoyed by this cos in my opinion their listing is misleading. The piano function was one of the main reasons I bought it and it didn't have this. Any advice?

Princessishavingababyboo Sun 18-Nov-12 13:58:14

Sorry they are under no obligation to refund the return postage, I have been stung like this before sad

queenofthepirates Sun 18-Nov-12 13:59:14

Personally, pay to return it and get your money back. You'll probably have a losing battle trying to get them to pay the postage in my opinion. Cut your losses and leave feedback appropriately.

Annoyingly, they don't have to. I bought something recently which arrived and was a completely different size to what they had advertised (on the labels, not just in my opinion). So I now have the hassle of somehow getting to a post office during opening hours, and will still be out of pocket for their mistake.

FarrowAndBollock Sun 18-Nov-12 14:04:55

If you bought on line I think you are protected by direct selling regulations and they need to pay return costs - have a Google for direct selling regulations

fergoose Sun 18-Nov-12 14:15:28

a good seller should pay return costs, but you can't enforce it

Just send it back with a signature to prove they have had it - if recorded write on the envelope 'please obtain signature' as many posties have a habit of not getting one now

and of course you can leave appropriate feedback and stars

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now