This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Faulty goods not covered on credit card

(10 Posts)
notnagging Wed 14-Nov-12 21:54:42

oh thanks fergoose will definitely look into that.

fergoose Wed 14-Nov-12 21:39:31

I would def post on the ebay boards too - they are very knowledgeable and helpful. I hope you get it sorted out. Could you talk to Consumer Direct - is it possible you could pursue the seller via the small claims court. I have taken their advice before and won a small claims case for a car which was mis-sold.

notnagging Wed 14-Nov-12 21:19:50

thankyou fergoose. I have posted on money. They say the relationship is broken as I used paypal to process the payment. They say the payment has to go straight to the seller. But the reference states that it went to the seller & they asked me to prove this which I did.

fergoose Wed 14-Nov-12 21:10:42

and seeing as paypal is owned by ebay then there is a direct relationship anyway (that is if it was an ebay purchase?)

fergoose Wed 14-Nov-12 21:09:56

I have read about this issue before - I think it may have been on the ebay community boards - if I were you I would start a thread there and on MSE for advice. Someone will know what to do.

notnagging Wed 14-Nov-12 20:56:35

thankyou i will try posting elsewhere. They said there has to be a direct relationship between card issuer & payer. By using a payment processor like paypal that relationship is broken, therefore they are not liable.

fergoose Wed 14-Nov-12 19:14:04

or ask on money saving expert - I thought purchases were covered by credit card, or is there perhaps a time limit on that?

LineRunner Wed 14-Nov-12 18:42:33

I don't know, but would be really interested in the answer. Perhaps try posting on 'Money Matters' or 'Legal', making clear it's about ebaY/PayPal?

notnagging Wed 14-Nov-12 15:02:58

I would appreciate anyone's view on this as I think I might end up having to take the card issuer to the small claims court.

notnagging Tue 13-Nov-12 22:45:00

Apparently the law states that there has to be a direct 'buyer to seller' relationship. If you pay on your credit card through PayPal & goods turn out to be faulty you are not covered on your credit card. My maestro card provider is refusing to issue a refund for faulty goods & I am out of the dispute period for eBay as I bought last summer. It is an engine worth £1200. They said they can see a payment went to the company but as it was processed through a '3rd party' they are not legally liable. Anyone had experience of this? If you didn't know take my expensive lesson as a warning.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now