This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Parcels to Europe

(15 Posts)
sarahtigh Tue 13-Nov-12 14:54:26

ROYAL MAIL

all prices for airmail are the same throughout europe which includes all of russia and turkey, so it costs the same whether france finalnd austria or whatever, there is second price brand for rest of world (except australia new zealand and other pacific countries band 3)

international signed for /tracked (tracking is not possible in all countries) is £5.15 extra anywhere in the world

my last parcel to Austria took 4 days, to austrlia 5-9days is usual airmail,

however courier prices to vary so finalnd will be more than france

parcel2go will quote for anywhere with weight and dimensions

MousyMouse Tue 13-Nov-12 14:47:57

parcels to austra can take ages (maybe the parcels are put into the australia box by mistake?) my last parcel to austria took 6 weeks! (normal vial post office)

chillikat Tue 13-Nov-12 14:43:13

I decided to cancel the bid as it wasn't worth the hassle of going to the PO twice with a big box somehow balanced on the pram or organising a courier. The next bid was only a couple of pounds less anyway. Then realised after I cancelled that it cancelled all of their bids so the price is back down to less than half of what it was sad oops. It's got until tomorrow night so hopefully will get back up to a good price. That'll teach me to get things right when I list.

lljkk Tue 13-Nov-12 13:29:29

I agree that there is no sub for going to PO in person, stick your jacket in an unsealed box & ask what it would cost to get the box using what service to Austria. There are different levels of tracking, too. I can't get my head around them all.

I sent a plate to Finland recently. The price jump for ordinary vs. traced was £4 which was as much as the plate cost (so I didn't send tracked & it did arrive safely, phew).

I am looking at sending tracked items (small plates again) to the USA, I think the price bands I'm looking at start around £12.

sarahtigh Sun 11-Nov-12 21:31:16

would be £27 with insuranceand VAT upto £200 included insurance is £50 not 500

sarahtigh Sun 11-Nov-12 21:28:18

parcelforce european priority £19.50 plus VAT i think includes insurance upto £500 takes 3 days plus

if under 2kg send airsure

chillikat Sun 11-Nov-12 21:22:49

MyLastDuchess The Post Office calculator only gives me ParcelForce options and seems really expensive. I was surprised it was so much too.

MyLastDuchess Sun 11-Nov-12 21:11:52

I wouldn't have thought that a courier company was necessary, I would just use the normal post. I'm sure it's much cheaper. That was my whole point: go to the post office! I'm assuming it weighs more than 2kg but even then it shouldn't cost more than 20 quid.

fergoose Sun 11-Nov-12 21:09:25

well - it is up to you - your auction after all.

chillikat Sun 11-Nov-12 21:08:35

I guessing from that fergoose that you think it would be less hassle to cancel their bid and block non-UK buyers than to work out European couriers, re-invoice postage, etc. at the end of the auction (I have a few days left thankfully).
It's a good bid too - I was getting all excited.

I guess I should message and apologise for changing the goalposts.

fergoose Sun 11-Nov-12 20:48:14

you can block bidders from abroad in your settings - you can also cancel their bid now and block them too

You need to physically stop bidders from abroad, otherwise they will still bid

chillikat Sun 11-Nov-12 20:46:05

I had a quick look at ParcelForce and was a bit shock that it seems to work out at about £45 +VAT for tracked.

MyLastDuchess Sun 11-Nov-12 20:41:07

Oh by the way I'm sure if you look on the Royal Mail website you will be able to see how much the postage costs will be and what the options are. So you will already know how much to charge the buyer, you don't need to go to the PO first. It's really no drama, just make sure you cover your arse by getting tracking or whatever as with international postage there are more places for parcels to go missing smile

MyLastDuchess Sun 11-Nov-12 20:38:17

Just go to your local PO and send it from there smile

If it's a high value item then I would insist on tracking or signed-for postage or whatever. The buyer will obviously be paying the postage. But don't be scared of sending to Austria, it's no big deal, no forms to fill out or anything. I live in NL and get packages from the UK all the time.

chillikat Sun 11-Nov-12 20:31:58

I've currently got a leather jacket listed which is doing well so far. My delivery is listed as UK but I didn't block buyers from other countries on my listing. My current highest bidder looks to be in Austria.... I'm hoping that someone in the UK outbids but does anyone know how I'd go about sending there and which courier to use. Obviously it'd cost a bit more than the Collect+ £5 I've got listed. Or if they win do I explain and cancel and offer a second chance to a UK based buyer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now