The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

beginner alert!

(5 Posts)

I've bought a few bits off ebay in the past but never had to return anything so don't know where to start.

I've just bought a bra, it was very cheap as it is used (I am currently pg and seem to be going up through a bra size every few weeks). It has arrived as is a different size than advertised - to back size is one smaller and the cup size one bigger, so I doubt I will grow into it.

According to ebay, it looks like if I return it I would have to pay the return postage myself, even though the seller is at fault and it is more than the bra cost. Is that correct? If so there isn't much point in returning it, is there?

amazingmumof6 Sat 10-Nov-12 21:22:10

1st contact seller and explain. if they reply you can figure out what's best for both of you. be nice, could have been genuine mistake!
seller might say send it back and may or may not be willing to refund p&p (original and /or return)

you can open a case and get your money back if they don't reply at all- go to help

you can try and sell it, but depending on cost you might want to leave it

depending on seller's attitude and outcome you can leave a negative feedback to warn other people

I had similar problems with varying outcomes :
- nicest : seller refunded full amount and told me to take item to charity shop
- nastiest - I sent item back and seller disappeared!

fergoose Sat 10-Nov-12 21:35:30

if you open a not as described case and tick the box marked other, write in next to it refund

then once escalated hopefully ebay will give a no fault refund without you needing to return the item

Thanks, I have contacted the seller to see what she says

amazing I am sure it was a genuine mistake, but don't think I should be out of pocket for her mistake

amazingmumof6 Sat 10-Nov-12 23:20:05

mrsbugsy no you shouldn't be out of pocket, I agree!

"be nice" I could have phrased it better, sorry!smile
what I meant was when you are contacting 1st time it's best to just be factual and positive, not angry as most sellers are good guys and will feel awful they made a mistake and will be very reasonable!

although there are some real shitbags out there, once I received a cardigan which was dirty, smelly, covered in pet hair, had felt tip marks and dry paint on, button missing and threads pulled out - seller insisted she sent it in perfect condition and refused to refund! shock
thinking back being called a liar was definitely worse then just loosing money!
(gave her a big fat negative feedback)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now