This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Item Returned Nonesense

(13 Posts)
F4ttyBumBum Fri 09-Nov-12 23:43:11

Don't think I can do much about this. Been having increasingly daft buyers despite being impeccably honest in my descriptions (even had a 2 star rating from postage despite charging only RM costs!). Had a message some 3 - 4 weeks after the auction ended from a person who bought a designer bra off me saying it's a fake. Giving bloody stupid reasons why but I thought there's nothing I could say to convince them otherwise so as per the item not described case told them to return my trackable means. They did and it was an empty package. I'm stuffed aren't I? The money will get refunded and they got something for nothing.

All that time and hassle with listing, answering messages, posting etc to try and make a fiver does not feel worth it. Would love to hear how I can join some FB selling groups because I feel that I risk being exploited if I continue to sell on ebay and I'd really like to continue selling my stuff.

80sbabe Fri 09-Nov-12 23:55:55

I had this happen ages ago and it got sorted because I could prove the weight of what I sent to the buyer and the weight of what they returned was different.

Did you send via Royal Mail and get a proof of postage ? If so the details will be printed on it.
Hopefully your buyer will have used Royal Mail to return the bra too. Therefore the weight on their receipt will be lower.
That's your proof.

I contacted Ebay Customer services and had to send them a copy of my receipt. The buyer in my case could not show they had returned an item of an identical weight and Ebay ruled that I didn't have to refund them.

You may be able to deal with this by using the new "Report a Buyer" button but it could be worth contacting Ebay Customer Services first and ask them how to proceed.
I'd recommend phoning them rather than using live chat.

JamNan Sat 10-Nov-12 09:02:18

It never ceases to amaze me what cunning and devious little shits some of these buyers are. I have learned so much on these threads.

HiccupHaddockHorrendous Sat 10-Nov-12 09:23:15

F4tty - that's awful!

80s - brilliant tip smile

Jamnan - I learn new ebay things here everyday and I've been buying and selling for a decade grin

JamNan Sat 10-Nov-12 09:33:46

I just had a thought. Am I right in thinking that you can go back to the buyer's feedback and leave further feedback? If you type in 'buyer returned empty package for refund BEWARE ' at least it will warn other sellers. Though I believe there is a time limit in which to do this.

DP is selling a high value item at the moment and after two days he has had two people ask to do the deal outside of eBay. hmm

fergoose Sat 10-Nov-12 10:10:09

you can't leave a negative statement for a buyer - it is against the rules and you can get your knuckles rapped.

I left a negative statement for a non payer along with many others. I haven't had my knuckles rapped.

fergoose Sat 10-Nov-12 11:01:04

you will if reported

F4ttyBumBum Sat 10-Nov-12 20:44:55

I've dug out my original proof of postage and so be honest there is so little difference in weight because it is a bra, I think it could be argued that differences in packaging could account of the minimal difference. But thanks for the suggestion smile

raspberryroop Sun 11-Nov-12 21:52:26

I al sways do a passive aggressive feedback - ie Empty package returned - sure the buyer will raise with Royal Mail !! - or words to that effect

Yep me too - Positive feedback given as he paid on time then after lying about not receiving item I posted a follow up comment 'buyer stated item not received. Full refund given'

Followed by someone else doing this carries much weight I think.

sarahtigh Wed 14-Nov-12 15:16:34

the best thing to do for people claiming items broken or damaged is to give positive feed back saying

"Sorry your item broke got damaged in post glad you have got your full refund"

if its genuine only 1 seller will have said this then it will look like bad luck, if this type of comment appears several times in their feedback it will look dodgy because it is

sixlostmonkeys Wed 14-Nov-12 17:05:35

It's worth taking this up with ebay/paypal. i had a buyer a while back return a different item (same product just older and well used etc) I stated my case listing the marks, damage etc on the returned item and referred to the condition in my listing photos and paypal actually refunded the refund (if that makes sense)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now