The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Item stinks of smoke

(19 Posts)
Wallison Sun 11-Nov-12 21:19:07

What an understanding seller. I would personally have told you to get a fucking grip.

kittycat68 Sun 11-Nov-12 21:15:28

dotnet: i totally agree with u!! Give them a clean if you cant clean them i would dread to think what the state of your house is like if you cant clean!!smile

fergoose Fri 09-Nov-12 09:07:34

I am sorry but the stench of smoke on items is intolerable to most people, and I don't think anyone complaining about an item stinking of smoke is being unreasonable. I can't believe the state some people send items out in and they seem to think it is acceptable and buyers shouldn't have the gall to complain.

dotnet Fri 09-Nov-12 08:47:17

I can't understand how smelly glasses can be a problem! It must be so EASY to clean them up and get rid of the smell- they're made of impervious materials after all, it's not as if you're trying to get rid of a smell from a deep pile rug or something like that.
If the lining to the case smells, what's the problem with taking the lining out? Or you could buy a replacement glasses case for 50p or something in a charity shop, if you really like the glasses and they were a bargain.
I think you sound a bit over fussy and oddly helpless tbh

fergoose Tue 06-Nov-12 20:27:01

make sure you return with a signature so you can prove seller has received them

Lamazeroo Tue 06-Nov-12 19:50:10

Thanks so much for everyone's advice - I sent a polite message, seller immediately replied in kind offering a full refund including postage. Winner! Thank you all.

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Mon 05-Nov-12 20:29:11

yy, ask seller first then if no joy go through ebay.

it's just annoying isn't it? and I agree, her house must stiiiiiiiiiiiiink.

fergoose Mon 05-Nov-12 20:04:43

approach the seller first then if no joy open a case via ebay

Lamazeroo Mon 05-Nov-12 19:46:32

Thanks everyone. It is most definitely the glasses themselves that smell. They came in a plastic case and it was when I opened the case that the smell hit me; the padded envelope didn't smell at all. They weren't expensive, and I do quite like them, but I cannot see myself being happy to wear them as they seriously pong.
So, do you think I should approach the seller, advise I'm returning them and ask for a full refund? Or should I go straight to ebay? I'd feel a bit bad doing that without at least discussing it with the seller, but I want to do it 'properly', and I really do want all my postage refunded if possible.
Thanks again.

daisydee43 Mon 05-Nov-12 19:12:24

Get your money back through eBay. I sold an item that "apparently" smelled like smoke and the woman got a refund direct from eBay without consulting me

SJisontheway Mon 05-Nov-12 19:03:21

Are you sure its not the packaging that stinks?

bureni Mon 05-Nov-12 18:40:26

are you sure the smell is smoke because royal mail bags give of a similar smell, I have sold a couple of brand new boxed items on ebay yet the buyers complained that they smelt of smoke even though they were brand new and unopened.

fergoose Mon 05-Nov-12 18:38:58

I don't think that you should presume something will stink of smoke if they don't state it is a smoke free home though

I know with clothes they should be sent out clean and laundered, I would have presumed it would be the same rule for glasses?

It is grim though that someone would send them out in such a state - makes you wonder how bad their house smells doesn't it.

unexpectediteminbaggingarea Mon 05-Nov-12 18:35:49

well, if they didn't advertise it as from a smoke free home then they might argue that as a used item it's just one of the things it can pong of. Personally I'd wash them(maybe with alcowipes or similar, unless it would ruin the finish) and leave neutral feedback (if everything else was ok).

I hate hate hate the smell of smoke on things, so I do sympathise. Bleurgh. Were they expensive?

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 05-Nov-12 18:26:11

That's true, sorry.

Just wondered if it might solve the problem altogether - though I can understand OP being put off entirely. Sometimes you just want nothing to do with an item if it arrives in a state.

fergoose Mon 05-Nov-12 18:24:40

you shouldn't wash them if you are sending them back really - once you have done that you could say you have accepted them. You need to send them back in the condition in which they were received.

EdsRedeemingQualities Mon 05-Nov-12 18:15:02

Can you try washing them? Otherwise yes email the seller and ask to return them.

fergoose Mon 05-Nov-12 18:13:57

I don't think you are unreasonable to expect them not to stink of smoke

I would email the seller ask for address and also tell them you expect the return postage costs too

Lamazeroo Mon 05-Nov-12 17:44:42

I'm usually very careful to only buy items listed as being from smoke free homes. But when I bid on a pair of sunglasses it never even crossed mind to question the seller about smoke. Big mistake - they arrived today and they fucking REEK of smoke. It's absolutely disgusting and there is no way I want to wear them. What can I do? The seller does accept rerturns. Is my only option to send them back and lose out on postage? Do you think I should have checked before buying or is it reasonable to assume that a pair of sunglasses will not stink of cigarette smoke? I'd love someone experienced to sure your opinion.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now