The eBay topic is intended for Mumsnet members to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business there is a Small Business classified topic where, for £30, you can advertise your company or products for 90 days. If you are a larger business and wish to advertise on Mumsnet please email contactus@mumsnet.com.

Postage issues

(38 Posts)
ChablisLover Sun 28-Oct-12 22:12:24

So I bought 2 items from the same seller

The original invoice stated the postage as combined but for £8

I asked for a discount and the buyers offered £2 discount

She sent both items together and when arrived they cost £2.20 to post - so in effect a £3.80 profit

So I emailed her and he advised that I got 2 pairs of trousers for £8 - the trousers were 99p so I got a bargain! The seller also said she had to factor in fees both eBay and PayPal and packing and petrol.

She also describes the trousers as worn a few times - I would describe a well worn

I am within my rights to contact eBay and complain both on the excessive postage and the description?

Thanks for any advice

mamij Tue 06-Nov-12 20:33:47

I understand where you're coming from
OP. But I'm a bit confused you knew exactly how much p&p you had to pay and still bid...? So you were actually willing to pay that amount until the package arrive? Would it have been better for the seller to have deleted the postage cost first?!

Seriously? You have time to fuck about over £3 ish hmm

This is why I rarely sell on there any more.

Its £3. Get a grip. Is it really worth the agro?

If you resent paying it, dont bid in the first place.

It costs me £8 return trip to P.O just in fuel and parking. Would you expect me to explain this every bloody time?

Sorry, dont mean to sound like a bitch, but its buyers like you that make us sellers really fucked off.

ChablisLover Tue 06-Nov-12 20:46:25

Monkey face - I sell on eBay too but I only charge what the post office charge me.

I feel that it's a cost I incur in running a business and I should not pass that onto the end buyer.

Yes I know it's petty to argue over £3 but when you are charged over the odds for a second hand envelope and 2nd class postage it gets my goat.

And the fact that it is so over the odds is annoying me.

If I over charge on p&p I refund the difference after I've been to the post office. At others, I've under estimated postage and I've just had to suck it up too

It is swings and roundabouts and works both ways.

But i take your advice on board and will double check postage and no longer bid on items with unreasonable p&p Charges

I just find it unreasonable to charge over the odds and a lot of sellers should notice this on their dsr and act accordingly

lljkk Wed 07-Nov-12 07:53:59

I strongly suspect that if you claimed for loss or damage from Collect+ having used a box in their Jiffy Bag category that they wouldn't pay up. Would anyone like to email them direct & confirm?

I'm with you in moral spirit, Monkeyface. Ebay can rail about fee avoidance (hilarious given that Paypal takes a % of total payment, and that there is no such thing as free postage yet Ebay allows for it anyway confused). But for buyers it's the total that should matter, not how it's distributed.

alemci Wed 07-Nov-12 14:44:04

thanks from me to to Saraht and lijkk. will try the collect option

sarahtigh Wed 07-Nov-12 22:36:14

with collect plus provided you enter weight and dimesions accurately it will give right price, so if it agrees it is suitable it is, they don't really carry whether jiffy bag/ mailing bag or box they do care if you say it is 1kg when it is 1.9kg or 20x20x20cm when it is really 30x 30 x30 it is about how many parcels thy have and weight, so if dimensions are too bi for jiffy bag it automatically quotes higher price for next category

monkeyface I actually sell more on ebay than buy and would never charge anyone £3 more than postage if i was selling a porcelain tea service with 6 plates, cups saucers teapot etc, I would charge £2 for packing but only because that qunatitiy would require metres of bubblewrap and packing peanuts, I do send porcelain and it does not break as I wrap properly so if £2 is adequate for packing porcelain it is very very hard to justify £3 for 2 pairs of trousers

when seller originally quoted £4 to post I would have assumed she had weighed and they were between 750-1kg and would therefore cost £3.50 to post second class ie 50p for packing etc entirely reasonable however if they cost £2.20 for 2 pairs, it was certainly not the case that she thought they maybe 750g but were actually only 720g so her scales were not accurate enough because OP saus both pairs together were £2.20 meaning one pair must have been less than 375g

as both buyer and seller this annoys me; people who do not like being ripped off for postage do not annoy me as i do not rip them off; if I had been the seller the OP would first have had combined posted of £5.80 assuming both weighed more than 750 the 2 would have been 1.5kg which costs 5.30 add 50p and get 5.80, if however when i went to PO I saw actually it is only £2.20 she would have got £3 refund without asking as I would have charged 2.20 plus 50p to make 2.70

as a seller I still think OP has every right to be annoyed

if it costs you that much to go to PO and park surely you would be better off with yodel or similar collecting them from your house

ChablisLover Sun 18-Nov-12 16:41:48

So I contacted the seller and she is accusing me of feedback extortion! And suggesting I just drop the matter.

This is 12 days after I last contacted her

Any suggestions?

fergoose Sun 18-Nov-12 17:17:51

neg feedback and low stars is my suggestion smile

ChablisLover Sun 18-Nov-12 17:22:24

Am going to reply that I was not extorting feedback but trying to resolve issue amicably as I was unhappy. And that I was shocked at the difference and then leave feedback.
Wasn't going to neg but neutral and low stars

fergoose Sun 18-Nov-12 17:27:24

so she overcharged you on postage plus sent an item which was not as described, and you are still only going to leave a neutral - plus her comms and attitude are pretty grim, you are very generous! smile

ChablisLover Sun 18-Nov-12 17:47:17

Am too nice

May well change before I leave feedback though

ontheedgeofwhatever Tue 20-Nov-12 13:16:50

did she reply to your last message Chablislover? If not I think a neg may be called for you've given her loads of time

ChablisLover Tue 20-Nov-12 17:41:40

Nope

No reply yet

Have left appropriate feedback as a result

Cannot be hassled arsed anymore

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now