This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Buyer trying it on

(20 Posts)
fergoose Fri 12-Oct-12 17:07:59

and then when he does leave a neg just leave calm reply - so sorry you are not happy, please return for a refund as advised

or suchlike - something polite and decent makes you look good and him look ranty.

fergoose Fri 12-Oct-12 17:06:37

honestly - ignore him - don't be bullied. Either he returns it to you for you to check it of he keeps it - I wouldn't bother replying any more.

TheLazyGirl Fri 12-Oct-12 16:48:28

Have done, yep all by Ebay messages

CelineMcBean Fri 12-Oct-12 16:48:00

Are you conducting all this correspondence via eBay? I'd report the feedback threat now tbh.

TheLazyGirl Fri 12-Oct-12 16:44:29

He's now told me that if I don't refund and collect the item, he will leave neg feedback. Have told him I really am not bothered and that now I have that message, if he does do that I will report it straight to ebay and have it removed as malicious.

dizzyday07 Fri 12-Oct-12 16:34:46

I think also people have advised here on the boards that if a buyer tries to repair something themselves (or have it repaired) without the sellers permission they then can't return it.

TheLazyGirl Fri 12-Oct-12 15:17:13

Yes had done that. He didn't reply all yesterday or the evening before to my "can I have the name address and phone number of the repair shop" reply.
He messaged this morning playing dumb, that he was expecting DP to collect yesterday. He apparently never received a reply to his messages (bollocks).

So, have said the same again, no refunds, it was working when it left here. Have said I want the repair shop details (he bought it Monday at 8pm, by Wednesday he had messaged. Now, what repair shop (and its a hard enough job finding one these days) would be able to open an amp, have a proper assessment, put it back together and then return it to him within that time frame? ) and once I speak to them and can confirm they are a reputable company (not just his mate from next door) I will reconfirm my position. Have also told him I have serial numbers and anti theft paint on the amp, hopefully if he is pulling a swapsie job, he'll wet his pants at that and do one.

sarahtigh Fri 12-Oct-12 15:10:14

with collection only it will be assumed that he had chance to check it over so unlikely to win case if he leaves neg feedback just reply politely

"sorry you are not happy but it was working when you collected it"

fergoose Thu 11-Oct-12 10:40:13

Yep I reckon he is just hoping you will give him £40 no questions asked - buyer remorse at having spent too much money this month I reckon

The buyer is at fault, he should have checked it was working when he bought it.
Sounds like he is trying it on tbh.

TheLazyGirl Thu 11-Oct-12 10:18:38

Yep, well we have no reply to the "who has quoted the repair cost, can we have a phone number".

Knew he was trying it on!

fergoose Wed 10-Oct-12 19:36:31

ask for a written report on the damage?

TheLazyGirl Wed 10-Oct-12 19:34:43

Exactly. DP is far more trusting than me!
I have now messaged back, asking him who the repair person was and can I have a contact telephone number as it was fully working. Hopefully this will call his bluff and he'll naff off!

fergoose Wed 10-Oct-12 19:30:33

I reckon he might be trying it on - up to you what you do. Would be awful to get your item back broken so you can't even re-sell it.

TheLazyGirl Wed 10-Oct-12 19:27:23

He's not got many feedbacks himself, and not left any either.

It was £75. We didn't want to send via Royal Mail as it was hugely heavy, so did collection only, but others which people will courier are selling for around £100-£120.

fergoose Wed 10-Oct-12 19:21:08

I would probably tell them it was sold as seen - but I can see it is difficult. How much money was it. Also what type of feedback does this buyer leave for others?

TheLazyGirl Wed 10-Oct-12 19:14:26

Yes definitely working, we just sold it because, well, we have a modern loud TV now, rather than a crappy old TV with rubbish sound!

fergoose Wed 10-Oct-12 19:11:41

sorry I've just re-read - they declined to see it working, that sounds really odd to me. Do you know it was definitely working when they took it?

fergoose Wed 10-Oct-12 19:11:01

no eBay won't do anything as it is a cash sale. If it worked when the buyer collected it as a seller I would presume they had broken it themselves, or were going to give me back a different broken item. They saw the item working before they paid and took it away with them?

Did you write down the serial number before they took it - or security mark it?

Apart from them taking you to small claims court there isn't really much the buyer can do.

TheLazyGirl Wed 10-Oct-12 19:01:30

Bloody ebay.

DP sold a surround sound amp, fully working. It sold for well under what the going rate is, bought and paid for cash on collection.

3 days later, buyer, who declined to see it working, collected and went home, has messaged. He claims it doesn't work, wants either DP to collect it (miles away), or wants £40 that he has been quoted as needed to "fix".

I say don't pay him back, DP is very much disagreeing. He wants to collect and resale the item. But how do we know the guy hasn't busted it whilst he has had it? He's clearly IMO trying it on. Can EBay even take money back from a seller for a cash on collection item?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now