This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

I have offered to pay cash but was listed as paypal

(12 Posts)
notcitrus Sat 06-Oct-12 10:34:48

You can't not offer to accept Paypal as it's automatic thanks to Ebay owning paypal. Even though Ebay then say only to accept cash for collected items, in the depths of their t&c.

pookey Sat 06-Oct-12 00:43:45

TBH I kind of came to the conclusion after I made the offer that I was actually doing the seller a favour because of above and now I have no come back but so long as I check it over that wont be a problem and its not the kind of item where issues are likely to crop up plus was a good price. main thing is that its not against the rules.

fergoose Fri 05-Oct-12 23:01:34

plus paypal has fees - cash doesn't.

Happened to a friend of mine, buyer paid PayPal, collected item and recalled the payment! Friend out £215!

fergoose Fri 05-Oct-12 22:59:02

nope - nothing dodgy about cash. You have no protection if a buyer pays by paypal, collects then files item not received, gets full refund of their money and has your item to keep too.

hugoagogo Fri 05-Oct-12 22:46:09

I don't see that; am I hopelessly naive?

I've always felt exchanging cash on the doorstep was a bit sordid and dodgy.

fergoose Fri 05-Oct-12 22:40:33

but a seller should never ever take paypal for a collected item, leaves themselves wide open to being scammed.

hugoagogo Fri 05-Oct-12 22:30:36

It's fine to pay cash if the buyer agrees, it is not completing off ebay.

I must say that this is a pet hate of mine, if the listing says paypal, pay with paypal, do not come to the door with a note and expect change. I am not a bloody shop!

pookey Fri 05-Oct-12 22:22:22

Oh that's great thank you smile

fergoose Fri 05-Oct-12 22:12:26

you can mark the item as paid in eBay - paying cash is not completing the transaction outside eBay. If you bid and won the auction it is still via eBay. Just make sure you are happy with the item before you part with any money.

lisad123 Fri 05-Oct-12 21:51:50

Yes always always pay cash if collecting in person. You buyer will be able to say you have paid.

pookey Fri 05-Oct-12 21:49:38

I have just won my first auction on ebay and was a bit worried about collecting and paying on paypal first so offered to pay cash. The seller has agreed but I then saw a notice from ebay saying not to complete out of ebay. Will I be able to close the transaction if I pay cash when I collect?

Thanks - new to all this!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now