This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Some numpty wants to arrange a courier for collection only item. What do I do?

(83 Posts)
EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 06:52:22

I sold a chair on Sunday night. The buyer lives miles away.
I was paid by paypal (thanks a lot) on Sunday night with no message, so yesterday I emailed to ask when they wanted to collect it.
I got a message in the evening saying they are just arranging a courier and what is my address etc.
No idea what sort of courier - if it's someone like Parcelforce I'll have to wait in all day AND wrap the bloody thing up, though I suppose it might be a normal furniture courier but if it is, that'll cost a fortune for a £10 chair so seems unlikely.
Also I'll need online tracking as she paid by paypal.
What can I do?
I've just replied saying that I am not able to wrap the chair for a courier, I cannot wait in all day and I will need online proof of delivery.
What do I do if she insists on sending someone else? I guess it's only a tenner and it might all be fine, but seriously - I hate new ebayers.
She only has a low feedback, so clearly doesn't get that you are supposed to discuss these things before bidding.
I don't want a neg for this. Any thoughts most welcome.
Thankyou smile

CJ75 Mon 01-Oct-12 16:20:56

How did it end up?

CJ75 Mon 01-Oct-12 16:19:58

This is gripping stuff. I am in the same position. Only my item sold for 99p. Now seller is asking for weight/measurements......well if I was prepared to deal with a courier I would have got more than 99p wouldn't I? (It is an unused Tinylove mobile that cost £25 in it's box). Now waiting on them to get back to me after I have said again and again no courier. The buyer works for a courier.

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 20:10:59

That is completely brilliant grin

No word so far this evening. Might I have got through to her? I do hope so.

I think I will just ignore though from now on.

SoupDragon Wed 04-Jul-12 17:07:36

Ok, take a photo of a bonfire and send it with the message "the chair is no longer for sale". No lies as you've not actually said the chair is on the bonfire... grin

You're right though, I wouldn't do it.

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 16:58:44

She'll know I'm lying though Soupy...I want to keep as much integrity as I can iyswim. But I might just tell her I won't discuss it further and she can do what she likes.

If she knows it won't bother me, she might not bother to neg./report etc etc.

SoupDragon Wed 04-Jul-12 16:55:58

I rather suspect you will get a negative whatever you do now. You can take that out of the equation when deciding what to do.

I say stuff her. Say the item is broken and unusable and donate it to charity.

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 16:51:19

Should I just tell her that - that I no longer have any incentive to sell it to her under any circumstances - and see what she says? Maybe if she really wants it she will promise not to leave negative feedback.

Though she still could of course. I just wish it was all over.

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 16:49:31

Lol, yes, I can see how that happens...I can't bring myself to type 'sh*bby ch*c though as everything on ebay seems to have that label!

Someone on the ebay boards suggested I offer to let them take it if she/the courier pays cash. The thing is although this would work for me, I know I'm bound to get a negative anyway now, so I'm not sure it's worth the hassle.

What do you think?

By the way if she argues any more, sellers have to OFFER paypal on their listings. But they are not obliged to take it.

Let us know any further developments, and by the way if you had listed it as 'shabby chic' in the first place you'd have got a higher price. I put an old briefcase/handbag on at 99p start which didn't sell. A friend advised I relist it as 'vintage' and I got £23!!!

People really ARE that gullible...

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 11:54:21

LOL Flibbers! Pass it over here! <rolls up sleeves>

Thanks guys, you are all amazing. Whatever she does now I don't think I really care any more.

As long as the chap I sold my bike to isn't like her, we'll be alright...smile

5madthings Wed 04-Jul-12 11:49:29

what a rude, unpleasant woman!

i have to say if i see something i want and its collection only then i will email the seller and ask if they will accept a courier, if they say no i dont bid, simples!

what a cheeky mare, hope you get i resolved!

fergoose Wed 04-Jul-12 11:47:21

have you seen how much shabby chic stuff sells for on eBay? I have just had to refurnish my whole house so have done extensive research!

If the woman does up cafes then your chair will be worth a lot more than £10 plus courier TO HER.

Go on, smash it up.

<<goes under the stairs to fetch dp's sledgehammer>>

fergoose Wed 04-Jul-12 11:38:36

Thanks Emilie - am fine. Have a new kitten who is the best medicine smile Am happy to help anytime.

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 11:38:25

Soupy, LOL gringrin

the hazards of packing things eh

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 11:37:55

AWV, I'm ashamed to - it's rubbish! It's really old...'vintage' or retro style, I think 1960s, certainly not worth paying a courier to collect.

She buys a lot of this stuff, apparently they refurbish cafes. I did describe its faults but can't imagine why she would want it!

SoupDragon Wed 04-Jul-12 11:37:12

I would be tempted to smash the chair (or a similar one) up and send her a photo saying "unfortunately it was damaged when being packaged up".

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 11:36:24

that's not a bad idea...we have somewhere like that too, just collected a sofa bed from us yesterday! I should have given them the chair as well...we buy things from them too, they are great.

I do hope that things improve for you. It can't go on like this for ever. Something good will happen sooner or later. thankyou again for all your time helping me out, I feel so much better just having your support.

AdventuresWithVoles Wed 04-Jul-12 11:35:31

Emilie please link to your auctions, I am so intrigued to see what chair was worth so much fuss!

fergoose Wed 04-Jul-12 11:16:59

Thanks Emilie - it's fine - I am a big girl, have dealt with a whole lot of worse stuff this year, maybe this is just the proverbial straw and camel's back! You are right it does consume you totally, and it is hurtful and awful.I could go to the police I guess but I just can't be bothered. Have enough other stuff going on at the moment without eBay grief too.

Anyway - onwards and upwards. If you don't relist your item how about finding a nice charity or shelter to give it to, or we have a local refurnish place, they collect stuff then sell it at reduced rate to people on working families or benefits. Would be nice for something good to come out of the hassle you have had - karma and all that. smile

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 11:01:44

Flibberty - yes, me too. I'd rather they see it first, tbh I was wary instantly because I thought, you are paying through the nose to have this crappy chair sent 100 miles, you will probably say it's crap, then expect a refund, and I won't be able to do anything. Or your courier will drop it and I'll be liable.

Her attitude is just another few nails in the coffin tbh. You HAVE to work with reasonable people because things often DO go wrong through no one's fault and those things will need resolving calmly and fairly.

I can just picture this one letting the couriers off the hook and claiming against me...she just would. I know it.

I've been negged before back in the days of retaliation - once for apair of very dirty shoes and once I think for a £300 lot of antique things which never arrived and may not ever have been sent...the seller was apoplectic with rage that I put in with paypal. I was called a lot of interesting South USA style names. And she said she was dying.

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 10:56:39

Fergoose that sounds dreadful. I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I know how you feel - remember the sofa thing from about 6 months ago? That went on for a month before the chap eventually caved and refunded me. It was like being in hell, every day waking up not wanting even to look at your emails for fear of what will be waiting for you.

It does take over your life totally and I completely understand why you are walking away, though I wish there was something that could be done. Sometimes repeatedly calling ebay CS till they make enough contradictory decisions/mistakes to thoroughly wrongfoot your seller can work, that's what happened for me - they made an error, I complained, they reset the entire case in terms of dates and the seller panicked and decided enough was enough. Incompetence can work in your favour smile

I'm just sorry you've come across one of life's weirdos. It's totally random and very unfair...this thing I'm going through is nothing compared to some.

fergoose Wed 04-Jul-12 10:56:39

I had a seller open an unpaid item dispute against me, even though I paid immediately, they never sent the item and eBay eventually refunded. Then the seller opened unpaid item dispute, which will give me a strike and remove the neg I left for them - and eBay cannot and will not do anything about it. Apparently it is a glitch which seems very odd.

If she negs you, then you get to reply and warn other sellers off. So its not all bad.

personally I'd take the hit on fees and the neg because NO WAY would someone so rude be getting my item.

Go back to ebay, tell them the item clearly states pickup in person and that she is refusing to comply with this.

I have a couple of times had people refuse a request to cancel a transaction - my listings always state that I don't ship overseas and if an overseas bidder wins the item then I will refund their paypal and put in a request to cancel the item. Once someone refused the cancellation so I just didn't send the goods and they got a refund via paypal once they'd gone through the resolution. I just let them think it must have got lost in the post.

(I hasten to add that I've only done that ONCE in over 600 sales in 7 years though. And the buyer only ended up with their money and no item, which is where they'd have been if they'd read the listing properly).

If I ask for local pickup for a large item its not just for the convenience of having to open the door and they take the thing. Its because right there, in front of you, they let you know that the item is what they want and in the condition they were expecting. Sending something by courier can leave you wide open to 'the thing is dirty I want 50% refund' type shite from crappy buyers and I won't take that risk. I'd rather lose the selling fees.

fergoose Wed 04-Jul-12 10:50:42

I wouldn't engage with her any more if I were you - it really is not worth upsetting yourself. I have had the seller from hell this week, and it has been so upsetting and hurtful, I cannot even begin to describe how awful it has been. I nearly closed my eBay account over it. I have tried not to take it personally, but it is difficult not to. Seller has my money, I can't get it back, she has sent me a wrong item which was so stained with v odd marks, dirty and also a bag of rubbish, I had to just return to sender. A friend told me to just walk away, she is an evil person and I was never going to get the resolution I wanted, and my friend was right.

Anyway, the moral is you cannot win with some folk, and I could have kept trying to get money back, sort out the problem or whatever, but I was just not going to win with that person. So I have decided to walk away. It is just not worth getting yourself in a state over - and unfortunately some people are just plain mean or nasty and you will never reason with them.

Sorry, bit of an essay - but you know - it really is not worth it. With such a wide audience you are going to encounter all sorts of people, and sadly every now and then you will come up against someone who is awful - law of averages and all that. But you will also come across fab people, polite, helpful and also keen to sort things out in an adult fashion if stuff does go wrong. A little bit of manners and courtesy goes a long way doesn't it and the mark of a good seller is how they resolve if there is a problem I think.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now