This topic is for users to discuss eBay, not for advertising eBay items. If you are a small business you can advertise here

Some numpty wants to arrange a courier for collection only item. What do I do?

(83 Posts)
EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 06:52:22

I sold a chair on Sunday night. The buyer lives miles away.
I was paid by paypal (thanks a lot) on Sunday night with no message, so yesterday I emailed to ask when they wanted to collect it.
I got a message in the evening saying they are just arranging a courier and what is my address etc.
No idea what sort of courier - if it's someone like Parcelforce I'll have to wait in all day AND wrap the bloody thing up, though I suppose it might be a normal furniture courier but if it is, that'll cost a fortune for a £10 chair so seems unlikely.
Also I'll need online tracking as she paid by paypal.
What can I do?
I've just replied saying that I am not able to wrap the chair for a courier, I cannot wait in all day and I will need online proof of delivery.
What do I do if she insists on sending someone else? I guess it's only a tenner and it might all be fine, but seriously - I hate new ebayers.
She only has a low feedback, so clearly doesn't get that you are supposed to discuss these things before bidding.
I don't want a neg for this. Any thoughts most welcome.
Thankyou smile

EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 18:31:05

This latest:

Hi,

I am not sure that I really understand your concerns. Whilst of course it is preferable to wrap the chair, most couriers come armed with blankets for the purpose and will also work around the times that you are available. As regards cash on collection, as you have marketed and sold the chair via Ebay it is a condition of sale that you accept Paypal. Sooooo, not really sure what the problem is here. We most definitely want the chair as have bid and won it on Ebay and we accept that that is a binding contract. I will ask the courier to contact you as soon as possible and hopefully they will be able to work around your availability which is of course right and to be expected. I am sure it will all work out just fine but maybe you need to look to local ads/garage sales etc in the future to sell your goods as Ebay does not seem to be a comfortable forum for you. If you could furnish me with your address and phone no so that I can instruct a courier to liaise with you and find out a good time for pick-up that would be great and we can go from there.

Many thanks for your time,

Ms Patronising Mc Nasty

who will leave negative whatever I do.

nocake Tue 03-Jul-12 18:36:13

I once arranged for a man with a van to collect some garden furniture I bought on ebay. I sorted out with the seller and man when the best time was to collect it and it worked perfectly. She didn't have to pack it up or do anything except be there when he arrived, which she would have had to do if I'd collected it. If your buyer does that then I think it's reasonable to accept but make sure you get a receipt from whoever picks it up.

HeadsShouldersKneesandToes Tue 03-Jul-12 18:40:45

Reply to her:

The "binding contract" includes my stipulation for collection in person only. I am under no obligation to accept your demand to vary this. Dealing with a courier is a significantly greater burden of administration and time than a simple pick-up-in-person. Please do not bid on Collection in Person Only items again without checking with the seller, it is rude and unreasonable, as is your last message.

EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 19:09:11

That is very good, thankyou very much, I have sent something like that.

Ebay advised me to open a case to cancel it so I have and also have refunded her payment.

I probably will lose my final value fee but ebay said they could probably do something about that, and also said they may be able to remove any negative feedback.

I hope so.

VivaLeBeaver Tue 03-Jul-12 19:12:05

What an idiot, and how rude is their email!

EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 19:15:22

She's left neg for someone else with over 1,000 feedback too:

'Refused Paypal. Forced to make bank transfer within hour w. 2 under 4's in tow.'

That was for some chairs as well. in April. She's having a proper toddler strop isn't she...I won't be bullied.

EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 19:16:34

I should add I have almost 1,000 and 100% positive at the moment.

She has 20. I think she thinks ebay ought to do what she tells it to, even when we have way more experience than she does.

She won't get very far if she keeps up this attitude...or maybe she will, she seems to be the ultimate nightmare buyer.

Floggingmolly Tue 03-Jul-12 19:24:35

I would assume "collection" just means you will not be sending the item by post?
If you are being really specific and insist that it must only be collected by the buyer themselves, you really should have stated it clearly in your listing.
If you haven't done this, you haven't a leg to stand on.

EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 19:27:42

It is stated clearly right at the top. 'collection in person only'.

According to ebay customer support I have a leg to stand on.

I did wonder if she might be on MN...she has two small children.

EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 19:30:19

I put this as well:

'Cash on collection please from Canterbury, Kent or can deliver locally. No paypal please due to proof of postage requirements.'

She's ignored all of it/ I think she's just really really rude.

jammic Tue 03-Jul-12 19:33:23

We've sold quite a few 'collection only' things on eBay that the buyer has then arranged a courier for. (After they paid for the item via paypal.) The couriers have always come at a time suitable to us and we've never had to provide any packaging of any kind. The courier deals with that. As a seller, it's as easy as handing the item straight to the buyer. To be honest, I'm not really sure what the issue is. You'd have to arrange a time to be in if the buyer was picking it up...

EmilieFloge Tue 03-Jul-12 19:38:45

Jammic, that's lovely if it all goes well.

The concern is if it does not. The item may be damaged in transit, or may not arrive. the buyer may be unhappy with it and demand a refund based on no proof of delivery.

I would have no contract with the courier and thus could not claim on her or my own behalf. It is the seller's responsibility always to ensure that the item arrives safely - someone else's courier is not a guarantee of that.

As a seller you need to be aware that paypal will first and foremost require online trackable delivery proof for any item under dispute.

If you don't have this you lose the case.
if the buyer had been polite and asked me in advance instead of barging ahead with her own little plan, I might well have bent over backwards to try and accommodate her.

But she was rude.
That does not augur well for a hassle free sale, so rather than let her get it collected and then put up with nonsense from her, I'd rather stop it now.

jammic Tue 03-Jul-12 20:48:05

I've had some people send couriers without me even realising they were doing so until they showed up. I guess the photos would help protect against any damage caused in transit as was mentioned above. Maybe next time be explicit that third party collections are not possible...?

jammic Tue 03-Jul-12 20:49:03

Although that doesn't really help this time. eBay probably should allow you to decide really.

fergoose Tue 03-Jul-12 21:00:31

If you as a seller do not want a courier collecting then that is your right to refuse. I wouldn't do it, no tracking and then if the item is damaged you can't claim from the courier as you don't have a contract with them. Plus the waiting around for potentially hours, and then the issue of packaging an item up too.

Your auction, your rules. Just because a buyer tries to bully you to do their bidding, it doesn't make them right.

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 07:17:11

Thanks both...

well, she's refused the cancel transaction case. And apparently refused the paypal refund, though I haven't checked - she just says she did.

Ebay just sent me a standard message saying please complete the transaction. Doe this mean I have to? Or what?

she still says I am being silly and she thinks I just wanted more money. I told her that if we don't complete the sale the chair is going on the bonfire, once I have rescued the lego out of it.

I also explained about liability and her asking me to take a risk I am not happy with, and told her that she is likely to encounter this problem many times with more experienced sellers. And that the other person who asked in advance about sending a courier got a 'yes' as she was polite about it and didn't assume.

So what now - obv I'll ring ebay again and ask them to sort it out, they did say they would last night.

Is there anything else I should do?

SoupDragon Wed 04-Jul-12 07:48:45

The chair could easily get broken by accident between now and when the courier arrives...

fergoose Wed 04-Jul-12 07:54:44

she can't refuse the paypal refund - that is nonsense.

SoupDragon Wed 04-Jul-12 07:58:09

I think you need to raise it with ebay again and see if they can sort it. There must be things they can do when a buyer is being an idiot.

dizzyday07 Wed 04-Jul-12 09:21:40

well if she raises a not received case and you didn't respond then all she'd get is her money refunded - Ebay can't "force" you to sell it to her.

But if you reply stating that it was a collection only item and that she wanted it couriered instead then the same will apply re the refund and ebay can see you were right to refuse her

EmilieFloge Wed 04-Jul-12 09:22:14

Glad she can't refuse the refund. ebay are being useless - I called them just now and this time, they told me they can't do anything about it.

So no Final value fee, no feedback removal and if she decides to report me for non performance she'll get away with it, and my account will be restricted.

What an absolute arse.

ItsOnlyForeverNotLongAtAll Wed 04-Jul-12 10:04:00

I had a problem similar to this.

I sold a bed on ebay. I specified that it was collection only, or I could deliver in the local area for a small fee.
I specifically stated that I would not send the bed with a courier or post it under any circumstances.

Someone bid and won it and then sent me a message asking for my address and when would be a good time for collection, I told the buyer when I would be in and sent my address.
The buyer then arranged a courier without telling me. I refused to giver the courier the bed (although he said he couldn't take it without it being packaged up anyway)
The buyer went mad at me when I emailed to tell him that the bed was collection only and that I would not accept responsibility for a courier.
He then suggested that I deliver the bed to him, since he had already paid for his courier he expected the bed delivering.
He was completely unreasonable and refused to accept that the item was collection only.

In the end I realised I had two options. Not send the bed, and get the bed feedback, strike against my account and pay the fees while issuing a refund.
Or send him an invoice for postage and packing, organise a courier myself and send the bed securely with proof of postage.

I did the latter, but it wasn't easy as he refused to pay P&P, insisting that it was my responsibility on that he had already paid one courier.
Ebay told him if he wanted the item sent via courier he had to pay P&P fees, which he eventually did, the postage cost him over £60, and I charged £30 for packaging and effort. :D

He did try to file a significantly not as described dispute against me later on, claiming that the bed was in an 'unusable condition' but thankfully I always take pictures of items before sending them so he didn't win.

fergoose Wed 04-Jul-12 10:04:36

I don't think one non performance strike will damage your account, I could be wrong but I am sure it won't.

Also add her to your blocked bidder list.

Try posting on the community boards, I have had to speak to eBay via email and phone and got absolutely nowhere, but am hopefully sorting it out now via the boards.

I feel your frustration though, on the phone and by email they have been nothing short of useless - so annoying.

fergoose Wed 04-Jul-12 10:05:19

community.ebay.co.uk/forum/Seller-Central/7

try posting a thread here asking for advice?

Thingiebob Wed 04-Jul-12 10:11:57

Is she not talking about a man with a can? You don't need to wrap and can arrange for a pick up at specific time, surely?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now