Any nutritionists around?

(3 Posts)
snowmonky Tue 16-Aug-16 22:42:21

I am eating disordered, something I am currently having psychotherapy for. It goes back to my childhood. If you know about food and nutrition, please tell me (gently) what the likely effects are (if any) of the food I eat. And I mean now, in terms of my energy etc, not cholesterol 20yrs down the line. I want to hear it from a third party point of view. I know what my own symptoms are but I'm not sure they actually stem from my diet. Hence me wanting to hear your opinions. So here is a typical days food intake:

2 or 3 'Nice' biscuits and cup of hot water with milk
Starbucks latte (weak), cheese & tomato toastie
slice of chocolate cake, hot water & milk
bag salt & vinegar crisps
half a cup Hagen Daz
Oven ready bbq ribs & chips, hot water & milk

Not great but fucking fabulous for a recovering anorexic. I think I know what healthy food is, I just can't bring myself to bother with it.

acatcalledjohn Tue 16-Aug-16 22:58:54

Congratulations! It can't be easy beating anorexia.

First off, I'm not a nutritionist. In all honesty I just didn't want to leave your post unanswered. Im sensible with food if that helps.

You are eating. That's a fabulous start, and I'm sure you have more energy now than you did before. It may not be that healthy, but you need to get in to the habit of eating before you can gradually make it more healthy. So maybe start swapping your breakfast gradually (once a week, then twice a week, then ever other day, etc) to something like porridge, or yoghurt with banana & berries, or muesli. Once you get in to the habit of that, gradually start introducing healthier lunches. And so on.

The foods you mention are high in fat and sugar, which long term will only give you spikes of energy. You'll find yourself needing your next meal to keep going. Just don't force it, baby steps are perfectly fine.

acatcalledjohn Tue 16-Aug-16 22:59:46

Obviously 'gradually' is my word of the day blush

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now