Anorexia recovery - potentially triggering

(8 Posts)
OddSocksHighHeels Sun 19-Jun-16 22:41:25

Warning for those that it may trigger: It discusses body image during recovery.

So, I've generally done well with recovery. I got up to a healthy BMI then slipped a bit but I'm back on track. I, personally, was never bothered about weight - it was other things that fuelled my anorexia, however I'm now just under a healthy weight but, like many others, my arms and legs are still very thin but I have a protruding belly. I know it will redistribute but it really freaks me out where an overall weight gain wouldn't - do you have tips on how to accept this phase and not be tempted to go backwards?

Flossiesmummy Sun 19-Jun-16 22:58:36

I have no useful advice but I'll serve as a post bump smile

t875 Sat 25-Jun-16 15:49:51

I don't know enough to help with your question.

But like the other poster I will bump this for you.

Maybe if you google BEAT the eating disorders help website and give then a call they could help you.

Can you if not too hard say what you did or if you read book to help you. My dd of 15 try's to skip meals / obsessed with calories her weight how she looks. She is waiting on a referral to come through for a eating disorder early intervention team.

Wishing you all the best

Scarydinosaurs Sat 25-Jun-16 15:54:25

My therapist was fab at reassuring me at this point that the weight WILL redistribute. And it does!

I read a fantastic article about body appreciation and adjusting the way you look at, and value your body. It had silly bits (patting your legs, thanks legs for holding me up all day) but actually, it really stuck with me! Definitely served as a turning point in my recovery.

5 years recovered from my worst episode now. I've had blips, but you can get there, I did flowers.

Scarydinosaurs Sat 25-Jun-16 16:01:26

connectepsychology.com/blog/2015/11/15/why-you-should-like-your-body-and-how-to-do-it-part-2

This isn't it, but I can't find it! This contains much of the same sentiments though. I hope you find it as helpful as I did.

t875 Sat 25-Jun-16 16:17:18

Thanks for posting this!!
Really helpful. 😊

Wishing you all the very best. Good to hear you can move forward to positive things. x

northernerinlondon Fri 15-Jul-16 18:00:43

Hey!

Firstly well-bloody-done, girly flowers

It's hard hard hard, and I remember the bloating phase well. It comes at an incredibly annoying time in recovery.
Nothing fixes it - but it doesn't last long, definitely not forever!!

I've doubled my weight in the last 3 years, and I'm now a healthy BMI (whoop!). I don't remember exactly how long it took my weight to distribute from my stomach, but now I have a flat(ish) tummy (it could be flatter but I don't do a jot of exercise - happily).

For the period I went through with it being almost distended, I lived in smock dresses and never ever wore jeans. Nothing will remind you of it more. Wearing loose clothing is also a great way of not feeling "big", until you mentally adjust to the fact that you're no where near being big.

I hope I don't sound preachy(!!), I just remember Googling this stuff for HOURS, and feeling so comforted when I read reassurances from people well into recovery.

Remember, you're still in control, still beautiful, and more than anything, you deserve to live your life knowing true happiness and freedom.

Let us know how it goes! Xxx

CountingdowntoFriday Sat 16-Jul-16 14:13:22

No answer from me but desperate to know myself!
I always remember an amazing psychiatrist say to me "you've got to risk it, go with it for a year, if you are not in a better place we all know you could easily revert back to where you are now."
I never was brave enough to take that risk but wish I could be.
Sounds like you've come such a long way, don't jump ship just yet.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now