Lesbian couple

(8 Posts)
rachelpink Thu 20-Oct-16 01:31:30

Hello ladies,
Me and my wife are looking to get pregnant but being a same sex couple this is a bit tricky. I'm looking for some ideas, tips and advice of the best route to follow
Thanks grin

Viviene Mon 24-Oct-16 11:05:59

Sperm bank in Denmark and then IUI.

WeArePregnant11 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:32:37

My wife's twin brother's sperm. Might seem strange to some, but we have a normal contract, talked about it a looot and we currently live on different continents.

But we wanted our baby to know their biodad. And we didn't want to "buy" the sperm. Not for financial reasons (children are obviously way more expensive) but for moral reasons....

WeArePregnant11 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:33:04

Well, not a normal contract, but a contract

WeArePregnant11 Thu 27-Oct-16 22:46:55

Personal moral reasons.

I'm not saying going to a sperm bank is wrong, not at all.
but we both had some personal issues with that thought (sheesh, I have foot in mouth disease today, sorry...!)

Mymothersdaughter Thu 27-Oct-16 23:07:38

Have you read the info stonewall produced- think it's called pregnant pause?

You can get sperm delivered from abroad- different prices depending on motility, delivery options etc then you home inseminate, I think if you get it in the nitrogen rather than dry ice it actually lasts a few days. Careful with sperm banks abroad though- they have different anonymity laws so although the anonymous donors are cheaper, if you're ordering to the uk then you have to choose a non anonymous donor. Sweden is known for its good sperm banks and being abroad less chance of half sisters and brothers living nearby imo!

You could go to a fertility clinic here- but you pay for a lot of extras like ultrasounds and fertility tests so can cost more. Don't think you can just buy the sperm to use at home in the U.K.

IVF rules apply different depending on postcode, in most areas you get one cycle free on nhs if one of you is infertile although you have to prove you've tried first... and usually they say this has to be done through a clinic rather than at home. Clinic also has higher chance of it working than home insemination.

Obviously the option of asking a friend or gay couple but not so easy to find IRL. Can find some via online forums but obviously don't have the health screening with it.

There's a website too that matches you with potential donor- have forgotten it's name but on google

Mymothersdaughter Thu 27-Oct-16 23:08:38

PS very sorry if you've already researched all this and I'm telling you how to suck eggs!!

user1480245482 Sun 27-Nov-16 11:31:35

I also opf for Denmark, as Viviene posted

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now