So annoyed and frustrated - house purchase

(11 Posts)
NewDayNewBeginnings Wed 16-Nov-16 20:46:41

I left my H a few months back.. And have been purchasing my own house since the end of September. Few hiccups but all nearly sorted, was hoping to exchange and complete shortly.

So today a get home to a letter from my Sols saying that according to the law as in still married my Hs house is considered to be mine too... So now I have to pay 3% stamp duty on my house. 6 weeks I've been buying this house and they tell me this now. Either that or I have to get a separation agreement thing through the court... Anybody know how long that takes or costs?

Ive been keeping it together so well and now I just want to break down and have a child tantrum.

Who knows how long I'll be stuck in my current dump for

Aarghhh

bibbitybobbityyhat Wed 16-Nov-16 20:49:59

Your post isn't very clear ...

What does "according to the law as in still married my Hs house is considered to be mine too... So now I have to pay 3% stamp duty on my house." actually mean?

daisygirlmac Wed 16-Nov-16 20:53:12

If it's for the second home stamp duty you can claim it back if it is your main residence

NewDayNewBeginnings Wed 16-Nov-16 21:01:44

H has a house. His house. I'm buying my own. Yes second house stamp duty fee

NewDayNewBeginnings Wed 16-Nov-16 21:02:23

Can I claim it back without getting a separation agreement

daisygirlmac Wed 16-Nov-16 21:05:09

I'm pretty sure you've got 2 years to claim it back but I've not come across your situation before I'm afraid so don't know specifics. Your solicitor should be able to advise

NewDayNewBeginnings Wed 16-Nov-16 21:12:11

My sols are not very helpful. They have sent me contracts to sign.. Where there are still issues to be resolved... Find this very odd

daisygirlmac Wed 16-Nov-16 21:21:30

Some info here www.gov.uk/guidance/stamp-duty-land-tax-buying-an-additional-residential-property

I think if you don't want to delay you might be able to pay the additional stamp duty, complete, then sort out your separation agreement and claim it back. However! I'm not a solicitor so double check this

NewDayNewBeginnings Wed 16-Nov-16 21:50:09

OK thanks... Will look into that. Just so frustrating... Could have sorted it 6 weeks ago

Vinomcstephens Thu 17-Nov-16 09:14:06

Hi New, when you say the other house is your ex's home, are you on the mortgage as a joint owner?

NewDayNewBeginnings Fri 18-Nov-16 19:51:09

Nope.. House is 100% in his name

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now