Helping an adult child with a flat purchase, several years after my divorce

(4 Posts)
ethel55 Tue 04-Oct-16 18:27:38

My husband and I divorced several years ago. The court award was a simple split of assets, 60:40 in favour of my ex-husband, in part because he assured the court he would be looking after our daughter, who was then 19. (In arithmetical terms, 60:40 means that, for every £40 I received, he got £60, so my ex-husband was awarded 50% more capital than me.)

The divorce court award also allocated, by agreement, some capital to all three of our children, two of whom were already keen to buy a flat. Because this money came from the family assets, it was regarded as a joint gift, funded 60:40 by the separating parents.

My ex-husband hasn't kept to his assurances, and I have had to fund a stream of my daughter's expenses, such as her mobile phone and private healthcare. Now the relationship with her father has almost totally broken down and she is desperate to leave his house.

The problem is that, despite him being a wealthy man, he is only prepared to match any capital gift from me to her 50:50.

Do I have any argument in law to insist on the same 60:40 split of donations, as was the case for the capital given to the children awarded at the time of the divorce?

NerrSnerr Tue 04-Oct-16 18:32:43

Did all three children get equal money at the time of the divorce or did your youngest not get any as she wasn't ready to buy a house? I assume if she was 19 several years ago she is now funding her own mobile phone and health insurance?

ethel55 Tue 04-Oct-16 22:56:18

The divorce settlement gave each of the three of them the same amount. My daughter now funds her smartphone but not her healthcare. (Due to a collagen disorder she doesn't have the health to perform a full-time job, so self-employment gives her the flexibility she needs.)

greenfolder Mon 17-Oct-16 20:45:46

Surely the settlement was just that? A settlement. Your dd was given the same as her siblings?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now