Can I go back to my maiden name?

(25 Posts)
Kaz32 Fri 02-Sep-16 21:07:36

I got my decree absolute in the post today. Can I just revert back to my maiden name or do I have to go to deed poll?

FV45 Fri 02-Sep-16 22:39:03

I think you can just call yourself what you like, but most places (banks, utilities) will need proof. I understand you can do it via deed poll online very cheaply (or free?).

I've just started the process.
Did some that didn't matter ages ago, did GP the other day.

Can't wait! I've used my maiden name professionally all along so it's not a huge change. DS1 wants to keep his name, DS2 said he'd like to be called James ie missed the point and just picked a new first name!!

Ladybird333 Sun 04-Sep-16 00:08:40

You can just start using it. For official things like passport, bank, DVLA, they want photocopy of decree absolute and marriage cert (to show maiden name). Congratulations!

elephantoverthehill Sun 04-Sep-16 00:19:19

I did just start reusing mine but came a bit unstuck when supporting my DS1s student loan/grant. Although I could provide copies of my Decree absolute and my birth certificate I had to reapply for a copy of the marriage certificate. DS1 now in his second year is getting much more than in his first year as it took a while to sort out. Passport wasn't a problem. Lack of joined up thinking in government agencies. Enjoy being called your name again.

FV45 Mon 05-Sep-16 15:49:12

I've just applied for a copy of my marriage cert. What sort of racket is going on between the Courts and the Government, eh?

Hand over your marriage cert to get divorced, but need an approved copy post-divorce for name change purposes. An easy tenner I'd say. Pffff.

Ladybird333 Mon 05-Sep-16 16:14:37

I got my marriage cert back from the courts.

FV45 Mon 05-Sep-16 16:59:27

Oh! I didn't know you could do that. How did you go about it?

Ladybird333 Mon 05-Sep-16 17:44:32

They just posted it back. Don't remember having to make a special request.

Kaz32 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:16:05

Well I didn't know you could do that either Ladybird. I had to apply online for a copy of my marriage certificate. I'm going to the bank tomorrow with both the marriage certificate and decree absolute. I think I read somewhere that you need both to change your name. Let the finding out begin hmm

Ladybird333 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:58:14

That's right, you do need both. The marriage certificate has your maiden name on it hence is the proof that it's your maiden name you're reverting back to and why you don't have to do it with deed poll.

I'm surprised some of you didn't get it back automatically. I wonder what was different. Mine was in 2014. Leeds Courts. I did it all myself without a solicitor. Maybe that's why. Strange!

Ladybird333 Mon 05-Sep-16 20:58:40

That's right, you do need both. The marriage certificate has your maiden name on it hence is the proof that it's your maiden name you're reverting back to and why you don't have to do it with deed poll.

I'm surprised some of you didn't get it back automatically. I wonder what was different. Mine was in 2014. Leeds Courts. I did it all myself without a solicitor. Maybe that's why. Strange!

Kaz32 Mon 05-Sep-16 21:22:58

I did mine without a solicitor and got all the forms from the gov website. This gives you a step by step account of what happens. When it gets to the part explaining about needing to send off your marriage certificate it gives you a link to apply for a new one. That's where they got me.

Kaz32 Mon 05-Sep-16 21:29:07

Oh sorry FV, I didn't read your post properly. I actually ordered two copies of my marriage certificate... Just in case smile

Minime85 Mon 05-Sep-16 21:32:44

I've just applied for driving licence in maiden name and just had to send off my birth certificate and absolute. I rang to check this at dvla too. I've also done my own deed poll and had people sign it.

SomeonesRealName Sun 11-Sep-16 20:19:25

How weird Ladybird I didn't get mine back also Leeds in 2014.

SlightlyperturbedOwl Sun 11-Sep-16 20:23:57

Unfortunately you have to keep the f'n thing for ever, tucked away with the decree absolute just in case. 25 years on and re-married for 5 times the length I was married the first time and I have still had occasion to have to show it for official paperwork sad

OrangePeels Sun 11-Sep-16 20:24:05

I always thought you could use your maiden name whenever you want. You have to prove your married name but your birth certificate has your maiden name which is yours for life. Not everyone changes their name upon marriage. I could be wrong though...

SlightlyperturbedOwl Sun 11-Sep-16 20:34:23

Yes that works unless you have to be able to prove the string of surnames - depends on your circumstances. Some professions/jobs/ employers require it to prove you have declared all previous surnames on a DBS check for example. Mortgage/credit providers can be difficult with this too sometimes so they can check for CCJs etc. My usual reason is because I stupidly took one set of professional exams under my first married name and have to be able to prove its me on the certificate!

SlightlyperturbedOwl Sun 11-Sep-16 20:36:48

It was definitely worth it though just to be free of the ex grin

crayfish Sun 11-Sep-16 20:40:59

You can call yourself what you like. I reverted back to my maiden name before my divorce was final (is that what the decree absolute is? I'm in Scotland and it's not called that here) so did the deed poll thing, but all banks and passport and stuff will accept your divorce certificate as proof of your name change.

For info I did the deed poll online and it was £30. It seemed a bit too easy to me but the certificates, I got about 10, were accepted by everyone.

MyWineTime Sun 11-Sep-16 22:19:13

I just started using my maiden name again, I didn't wait for my divorce, I just used my birth certificate and told my employer that I had changed my name.
Changed my name on the electoral roll and on bills.
I set up a new bank account using my birth certificate and bills. No need to tell them I was ever married.

No deed poll, no marriage or divorce certificate - have never needed them. (other than my divorce certificate to remarry) I have never seen my marriage certificate again after handing it over to get divorced - there is no way I would ever apply for a copy!
I have changed jobs, had CRB & DBS checks - it's never been needed.

MyWineTime Sun 11-Sep-16 22:20:38

Just to add that you have the absolute right to use your maiden name at any time - you don't have to be divorced or have to prove anything.

SlightlyperturbedOwl Sun 11-Sep-16 22:23:48

you do have to state all previous surnames on a DBS check application though, and it depends on your employer whether they ask for evidence of the dates of the changes to check you didn't have an extra name squeezed in between. Weirdly I was never asked to show my divorce certificate on remarriage- the CofE had just changed their rules to allow it in certain circumstances and the vicar took my word for it hmm

AdoraBell Sun 11-Sep-16 22:25:55

Slightly off topic, but when we got married the registrar told me the certificate is the property of the woman. On that basis surely you shouldn't have to pay for a duplicate, unless ex has kept it, it should be returned to you.

yodaonthebars Fri 16-Sep-16 14:49:43

Court kept mine also

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now