Child maintenance between jobs

(3 Posts)
somanymiles Mon 27-Jun-16 12:13:23

Hi - Hoping you can help me with something. I am currently paying child maintenance (not court mandated) for my older two children who are living with their Dad overseas. I am starting a new job, and taking the summer off to spend with my youngest (who lives with me). The two oldest will be with me for 6 weeks of the summer. I finish my old job on 15 July and start my new one on 7 September, so there will be quite a gap between pay cheques. I get that their Dad will still have bills to pay, but I'm just wondering whether I could skip a month, say August, on the grounds that a) the children will be with me so his costs will be reduced b) I will have no money coming in. What do you think? Am I despicable for even thinking of it? Just wondering how to make my last pay cheque stretch for the summer for the four of us!

lovelilies Mon 27-Jun-16 12:56:55

Doesn't sound unreasonable to me, can you talk to him about it?

somanymiles Mon 27-Jun-16 13:32:54

Communication is a bit strained as he thinks I should be sending more than I am. (I used the UK child maintenance calculator, the one where he lives does not take account of whether you have another child in the household of the person paying.)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now