Statement of Information for a Consent Order - question

(6 Posts)
FV45 Thu 26-May-16 14:19:56

Right...I shall set aside my annoyance at the assumption I know what the hell it all means and ask you folk instead of lining my solicitor's

Actually NO, I am annoyed. I do not expect people to understand the specific terms I use in my work. Pisses me right off.

So, there is this point

14. Cost.
There shall be no order as to costs, save that the respondent shall pay £1208.80 towards the applicant's divorce costs within 7 days of Decree Absolute.

I have already agreed that I am not asking him to pay costs. So, what is this? I he doesn't pay it, do I have to...what's it for?

Northumberlandlass Thu 26-May-16 14:28:39

A consent order is a legally binding agreement, drawn up by a solicitor & can cover different things property, investments / child maintenance etc.
The £1208.80 is probably your solicitors cost?
I assume by the way it is worded you are petitioning your husband, therefore he is the respondent. If you are the respondent & he is the petitioner then you are paying!

Is this what you are querying? I think that is right. I'm not a solicitor though!

FV45 Thu 26-May-16 14:48:38

I'm not a bloody solicitor either. Pages and pages of legal terms I don't understand and I am an educated person.

I am the petitioner.

I have agreed that he (respondent) doesn't need to pay my costs, and asked my sol to change this.

So, what is this amount? For costs I've already incurred or a cost for filing this order (or whatever the terminology is)?

Northumberlandlass Fri 27-May-16 08:26:52

I assumed this was your solicitors fees for the divorce? The actual divorce costs in court are £550 (I'm planning on doing it myself as we have financial closure of the marriage within a Separation Agreement (basically a consent order)) and then any handling / drawing up of documents that have been carried out.
It's a ridiculous system. I can't get divorced now without citing unreasonable behavior, I can't just say "We don't love each other, we don't want to be married" - we have to wait 2 years. Sorry, bit of rant!

Anyway, I was quoted £1600 for a solicitor to handle the divorce. I

FV45 Fri 27-May-16 08:49:20

I've already paid thousands.

Northumberlandlass Fri 27-May-16 11:03:07

I would ask them for a breakdown of fees you have paid so far!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now