Ex husband agreed to start divorce proceedings but hasnt

(5 Posts)
Estimated201 Fri 06-May-16 10:51:31

I left abusive exh last August.

House has since been sold and I have moved to a different area of the country.

Finances have been split.

Part of the agreement was for him to do the divorce as he took a larger proportion of the house equity and I didn't have the energy or money to fight for it.

This was back in February. The agreement was he would start divorce within a month.

Its now may and nothing. I have emailed him and called him a few times but I haven't got through or had any replies.
I don't know where he lives.

Has anyone got any advise or suggestions?

Penfold007 Fri 06-May-16 10:56:16

Was this an informal agreement or one drawn up with legal help? He's abusive so realistically he is unlikely to do anything to make your life easier, you may have to divorce him,

Estimated201 Fri 06-May-16 11:14:17

he agreed informally.

i guess i was silly to believe him after everything else.

how can i go down the route of divorcing someone if i dont have their address? and is he likley to ignore divorce papers from me anyway?

I almost need to find a reason that is beneficial to him to divorce me.

I was in a car accident the other day and it made me realise he is still my next of kin.

Estimated201 Mon 09-May-16 11:49:53

I received an email response from him saying that he had submitted the divorce with his solicitor who advised it could take 24 weeks before I hear anything.

Does that sound right?

Penfold007 Mon 09-May-16 16:57:47

24 weeks!!! no that doesn't sound right at all. Might be worth having a look at this: www.gov.uk/divorce-missing-husband-wife

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now