is it me?

(3 Posts)
tic73 Wed 13-Apr-16 21:27:00

My H and I separated 3mtgs ago and have started looking at the financials. The house is going on the market as as we are moving to an area where houses are cheaper we are able to buy a property each. Our 2 children will primarily live with me. Because the children's education is important I have chosen to live in an area where the prices are higher than if that down the road where he will live and so he will be able to get a better property at a much cheaper price. The thing is he wants 50/50 split on the house because he feels it's fair! He will end up with probably a 10k mortgage compared to me looking about 120k. He earns just over 25k more than me and tbh I don't even think I would get a mortgage on my small salary.
Am I being unreasonable asking for 60/40 on the equity?
Thanks x

HeddaGarbled Thu 14-Apr-16 14:39:58

Look at page 19 of this:

www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/fjc-financial-needs-april-16-final.pdf

Mediation will probably help to come to a genuinely fair arrangement.

tic73 Tue 19-Apr-16 13:57:04

Thanks for this. Very informative. Have mediation tomorrow.....he still thinks it's 50/50 though so big mission ahead!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now