Paying "The Dementor" Off

(10 Posts)
hazel1910 Tue 12-Apr-16 19:10:40

I have 7 yrs 3 mths to pay on a repayment mortgage (£125 p/m), there is also a shortfall in the endowment on about £8.5K, but that payment is about £60 p/m
The house is worth £100K, so that would be split 50/50, he owes me £10K for a loan on a car and my solicitor says I can also take off the cost of a new kitchen £13K which came out of my mum's estate.
If I wanted to pay the Dementor off out of the house, how do I work out a settlement figure with the endowment and mortgage?
Any advice will be welcomed.

LineyReborn Tue 12-Apr-16 19:16:37

How many children and how old?

My ExH took quite a low cash-in-hand sum for his immediate gain, rather than wait until the youngest was 18.

hazel1910 Tue 12-Apr-16 19:52:52

2 children 14 & 11. He's in debt up to his eyeballs and I wondered about making a low offer to get shut, just don't know how low to go (if I dare).

LineyReborn Tue 12-Apr-16 22:43:18

Ok so he gets some cash now, or he has to wait until the youngest is 18 and the house is sold.

I'd offer him very little. There isn't a huge amount of equity in it when the money he owes you is taken into account, and you get custody of the mortgage.

Cabrinha Tue 12-Apr-16 23:31:04

You're not married so it's not a marital asset.
Is he on the deeds? On the mortgage?
If not, I'd let him whistle for any of it.

LineyReborn Tue 12-Apr-16 23:42:21

Oh, you're not married?

What Cabrinha said then.

hazel1910 Wed 13-Apr-16 19:22:06

Hi, thank you for your help.
I'm at the solicitors tomorrow, I going to ask him to make a low offer, see how that goes. Thing is the twat is out for 50% of everything. I'm ready for a fight... bring it on!!!

LineyReborn Wed 13-Apr-16 19:41:23

Don't go over £5k as Fuck Off Now money.

Cabrinha Wed 13-Apr-16 22:07:05

Is he a joint owner of the house though?
If he isn't, then you can probably treat him as a lodger and tell him to fuck off without a penny 😀

hazel1910 Thu 14-Apr-16 07:19:14

I love the "Fuck Off Now" money idea (made me chuckle), but it is a joint mortgage.
He bought nothing for the house except 1 TV and a stereo (which were weren't allowed to use), he choose to buy car after car (don't slam the door! the kids and I couldn't even eat a flipping TicTac in the cars, but he could smoke until I put my foot down about him smoking with the kids about), and he was also a borderline drunk and a smoker.
Just wish I'd got shut of him years ago.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now