Post divorce name change

(23 Posts)
TooSassy Tue 13-Oct-15 20:32:22

I took my STBXH name after marriage. DC's have his surname (zero intention of changing theirs)

I am wondering whether I change back to my maiden name once the divorce is through.

What has everyone else done? Kept name or reverted to maiden? (Well done to those who never changed their surnames initially!) confused

Pullingpants Tue 13-Oct-15 20:34:53

I went back to maiden name in a fit of post-divorce-hate for married name. Then I felt like I had cut DD loose, as we then had different names. She changed her name to own surname double barrelled with my name, so we have a name in common. My old dad never had boy children, so his name lives on. All good in the end.

lighteningirl Tue 13-Oct-15 20:35:24

I use my maiden name at work married elsewhere so would definitely revert No way would I keep an ex's name

TooSassy Tue 13-Oct-15 20:44:02

I wouldn't normally but I am trying to figure out how it will feel having a different surname to my DC's. And whether there are any practical issues that could cause (like travelling with them for instance)....

It also means a twitter handle name change <<sigh>>

ThomasRichard Tue 13-Oct-15 20:53:38

I'm keeping my married name, mostly because I worry about taking the DC abroad with a different surname.

AliceInUnderpants Tue 13-Oct-15 21:04:59

I kept my married name. One reason we got married was so we had the same name as our children. I don't see it as keeping my ex's name, instead keeping my kids' name.

financialwizard Tue 13-Oct-15 21:21:48

Changing mine back which means three different surnames in my household. We don't care, we are the musketeers!!!

TooSassy Tue 13-Oct-15 21:24:06

thanks for sharing everyone.

I think I'd feel really odd not having the same surname as my DC's.

TooSassy Tue 13-Oct-15 21:25:01

Lol @ financial wizard!

Isn't it just another ballache of stuff to do on top of the divorce process and potential house move etc etc....

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Tue 13-Oct-15 21:26:13

Having a different name to your kid isn't really a problem. To be fair I've never shared a surname with him so we are used to it but it's really No big deal. Take a photocopy of his birth certificate when you travel.

Homely1 Tue 13-Oct-15 21:28:14

I would change!

TooSassy Tue 13-Oct-15 21:40:01

It's about 50% / 50% so far

Guess it depends how I actually feel once this divorce is through. I may well do a pullingpants job!!!

Chocamochalatte Tue 13-Oct-15 22:03:43

Ive been wondering this too... Does it depend how long you've been together? For instance those that have changed back, how long were you married for?

Minime85 Tue 13-Oct-15 22:21:18

I have kept it legally really just to have same passports so there is no difficulties with travelling with them. That and you have to pay which can I begrudge.
I have gone back to my maiden name at work And most importantly on social media!

Pullingpants Tue 13-Oct-15 22:28:50

Twenty years Choc...

brittanyfairies Tue 13-Oct-15 22:29:12

I've been changing mine gradually. So work, bank etc, but I've kept the passports in my married name. By the time it needs changing the DCs will be nearly 16 so it shouldn't be a problem traveling with different names.

Richywalters12 Tue 13-Oct-15 22:53:28

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

AliceInUnderpants Tue 13-Oct-15 22:59:45

Can Dr Dr. Opia change OPs name back on all her accounts and legal bumph with no hassle? Amazing!

AliceInUnderpants Tue 13-Oct-15 23:00:28

AH balls, now I just look like a fruit loop!

lighteningirl Wed 14-Oct-15 08:18:28

You don't have to pay to revert to your maiden name

ObsidianBlackbirdMcNight Wed 14-Oct-15 09:19:13

You have to pay for a new passport and driving license but yes other than that there is no need to pay. Some institutions will try to insist you need a deed poll declaration but they are incorrect

RedZeppelin Wed 14-Oct-15 10:01:41

I love my maiden name so didn't think twice about changing it back. Very little hassle - changed driving licence first and used that as ID for all other changes. My passport still has 3 years left to run on it so I won't be changing that until is expires.

The trickiest has been changing my records at the doctor's surgery - they were quite happy to change my details when I married but seem very reluctant to switch back confused.

Chocamochalatte Wed 14-Oct-15 23:11:42

I don't fancy going back to my maiden name but only because I don't like it. I would love to use my nan's maiden name though, I love it, but I guess that would have yo be done by deed poll and then cost money!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now