How long did your divorce take?

(15 Posts)
despicableshe Wed 19-Aug-15 00:59:03

I've read that 4-12 months is average, a solicitor I saw reckoned it would be roughly 6 months for me, since there's no assets or complicated financial issues involved. How about you?

Fidelia Wed 19-Aug-15 09:18:20

If there'd been no assets, we'd have been divorced in 6 months, judging by when the nisi was granted. As it is...1 year 5 months and likely to at least hit the 2 year mark.

AnneLovesGilbert Wed 19-Aug-15 12:46:53

4 months, completely DIY, no real assets, (just) enough agreement to get everything done and sent back ready for each stage. As the petitioner, I kept a schedule for myself of the projected dates for each bit. And they send you everything you need at each stage with instructions in the paperwork and on the government website.
Getting the nisi through took longer than it should have - maybe 10 or 11 weeks? - just delays at the court's end.
Have you already got a solicitor? I spoke to one for 15 mins who told me I really didn't need one and it was stressful never having done anything like that before, but not that complicated doing it by myself and the only cost was the £400 odd it cost to file.

Minime85 Wed 19-Aug-15 15:45:39

If nothing complicated as another poster said do it yourself. Save you a fortune. We had assets but agreed on them so still did it ourselves. I filled in all paperwork sent end of June. Was a backlog at court but it was heard in October I think. It would have been sooner but I signed something wrong so had to come back and then go back again! Absolute was end of November. So 5 months in total.

kittensinmydinner Wed 19-Aug-15 22:29:37

3yrs and £34000 for us. I wish you well !

Deardinah Thu 20-Aug-15 00:04:21

I'm 10 months in, still waiting for mine, ex is slow at getting anything to his solicitors

GiddyOnZackHunt Thu 20-Aug-15 00:11:30

Without dc.
Split in December
I served papers in February.
Nisi in April
Absolute in June smile

Fidelia Thu 20-Aug-15 09:15:50

Something to bear in mind...

...If your STBXH is someone who likes to get things done quickly etc. Then the process should go quickly. If he's someone who puts things off, procrastinates or is angry at you and wants to delay things, then it could take quite a while.

In my case,he cheated & our assets are not complicated, so it should have been quick, right?

Nope. He's a major procrastinator. Plus he's angry that I filed. Plus he doesn't like what the law says about division of assets when he's a high earner and I'm a low earner (was SAHM when he left) and the children's main carer.

So, the length of time a divorce takes is mostly bound up in

1. how motivated you both are to have a quick divorce
2. whether either of you is angry/trying to punish the other with the divorce process
3. whether there are any complicated situations
4. whether you both understand what is legally 'reasonable' in division if assets

WavingNotDrowning Thu 20-Aug-15 10:16:05

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

OohMrDarcy Thu 20-Aug-15 10:25:46

will be about 5 months for me - I started proceedings in early May, issued to H on our wedding anniversary (ouch!) at the end of may.. he replied within 4 days and got confirmation middle of June that he wasn't contesting. Sent Nisi form off the next day (!) but there was a pretty big delay with the courts, middle of July I got confirmation that we were a go for the Nisi which would be read in court at the start of August... I now have that and am waiting the 6 weeks before I can send off the absolut request - I have the date marked in my calendar! Assuming similar timings I will be divorced some time in October

MsPepsi Thu 20-Aug-15 18:13:33

I was told 4-5 months but it took 10

oldfatandtired1 Fri 28-Aug-15 18:55:18

3 1/2 years . . .

despicableshe Thu 03-Sep-15 12:49:49

So I decided to represent myself and on advice of the local court, sent the petition to the new regional divorce centre. Hadn't heard anything, only for me to take to Twitter and find tweets from solicitors saying that the divorce centre has a backlog of 4 weeks! Aargh!!! angry

LalaDipsey Sun 06-Sep-15 21:33:03

Fidelia exactly like you! ExH left April2013. I was happy to wait 2yrs to file for separation purposes as long as we had financials ready to go for Apr2015. He agreed. Apr2015 and he hasn't got financials in order. June2015 I filed. No financials from him. Decree nisi awarded last week. Finally a formE from him on Friday but it's incomplete. He is a major procrastinator and wants much more than he's entitled to. It's going to be a long while yet I think!! (No assets apart from house, 3dc who he can't be arsed about!)

Savagebeauty Sun 06-Sep-15 21:34:20

Five months.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now