Divorcing a prisoner

(5 Posts)
Prisonerdivorce Sun 12-Jul-15 18:14:50

Nc for this as obviously v personal. I have a close relative trying to divorce their spouse who is in prison for a violent offence against them. Spouse has pleaded guilty. Solicitor managing the divorce says they cannot proceed as relative does no have prisoner number of spouse. We have no idea how to get prisoner number as they seem to be kept confidential and without it relative is trapped. Does anyone have any ideas?

Penfold007 Sun 12-Jul-15 18:53:21

Your family member's solicitor really should know how to do this. Just follow the link www.gov.uk/find-prisoner

Prisonerdivorce Sun 12-Jul-15 19:05:05

Thank you. I had realised that there was no way we could get the number without the spouse's permission but I didn't know that a solicitor could get it. They have taken her money upfront and now say they can't proceed.

babybarrister Sun 12-Jul-15 19:11:15

the solicitor sounds incompetent on the basis that the prisoner is in the UK ....

Prisonerdivorce Sun 12-Jul-15 19:28:09

Yep. Told relative that they would issue proceedings to spouse 3 weeks ago then last week they received a letter saying that relative needed to get the number.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now