help with fees for divorce

(3 Posts)
UnapologeticallyUnreasonable Mon 22-Jun-15 09:46:58

Myself and my husband separated in June 2011. (amicable we just don't talk now) I've been with Dp since Sept 2011, and we are expecting our 2nd child together. We have a very low income but I really want to divorce husband so that me and Dp can marry etc. We receive housing benefit, tax credits and DP earns 130 a week. I don't work at all so have no income. Is there any way I could get help with court fees? Divorce would be v straightforward. Any advice would be great!

MagicBacon Mon 22-Jun-15 09:59:13

I used Wikivorce as we didn't have much to sort out. It was about £300-400 in total for the decree absolute to be granted with consent order etc. I have to pay an extra couple of hundred for the house deeds to be transferred (did this with a local solicitor). It's not been quick or straightforward, but if you can keep on top of the paperwork and keep pushing when things stall it is a good way to get it done cheaply. Stick it on a 0% credit card and pay it off over a year or so.

Stinkersmum Tue 23-Jun-15 17:13:53

Depending on what benefits you're on, you can get help with the costs. See here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now