FDR after 1st court date?

(5 Posts)
deckthehallswithdesperation Tue 02-Jun-15 15:52:04

Getting divorced. Form e's exchanged tomorrow. My lawyer spoke to his lawyer today & said it should be easy to settle at the first court date as we're a straightforward case (he owns everything/I have nothing) - she told me if this isn't possible, we'll go straight to FDR in a couple of months time! Can this be true? I thought you had to have a 2nd court date first before resorting to fdr?

cannotseeanend Tue 02-Jun-15 17:35:13

The courts can do anything they like. My husband forced me through court. There was no FDR. I was not served with notification of first hearing and I'm still waiting. I was served with papers only for a final hearing. I asked why no FDR, the court staff told me that during the first hearing, it was discussed and the judge said no FDR, on the grounds I had to travel from outside the UK. I can only take this as truth, as I wasn't present to hear nor informed to be able to be present.
If your case is straightforward, then I guess you are saving yourselves money so would be happy.

ConnortheMonkey Tue 02-Jun-15 17:47:58

FDR is usually the second hearing. Sometimes it is the first hearing if everyone is happy that disclosure is complete. Am not clear from your post whether you have had a first hearing or not. If not, before the first hearing you and your husband's solicitors will file a form saying if you are ready to have an FDR or not.
are you clear what an FDR is?

cannotseeanend if you want an FDR then write to the court. If you're not happy with disclosure and want/need the court directions, and didn't turn up at the first hearing as you were not served, write to the court.

cannotseeanend Tue 02-Jun-15 18:10:03

I wrote to the court masses of times. They just ignore it all.
I asked for a FDR, I didn't even get a response.
I am frankly disgusted by it all, the only justice I got was at Final Hearing. However the way in which i was treated was enough to make me no longer want to be alive. I could not cope at all. i have masses of medical reports too, all just disappeared into the ether. I turned up for final hearing with the judge never having seen the majority of emails nor any of the medical reports. I self represented,with 34.5k of life savings taken and spent by husband, I had no choice. I fed my kids on food donations. I sold possessions to keep alive. Canterbury court sucks.

ConnortheMonkey Tue 02-Jun-15 19:35:08

That's terrible cannot so sorry to hear you had such a bad experience. Family courts need to get much much better at dealing with litigants in person or legal aid needs to be reinstated to navigate the minefield

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now