ZOMBIE THREAD ALERT: This thread hasn't been posted on for a while.

How to afford divorce on Income Support?

(5 Posts)
Fidelia Mon 17-Feb-14 19:46:52

My H is a higher tax payer. Unfortunately when he left, after an affair (I would go for unreasonable behaviour) as a sahm, I ended up on income support.

I have been saving a little but have no idea how much divorces cost. He is likely to contest what would be a fair financial settlement (he does not like the idea of sharing part of his pension, or contributing to childcare costs so that I can afford to work).

I have found a brilliant solicitor, but she is expensive. She has said that H would be expected to pay the costs for the actual divorce, but then there's the financial stuff and the children's bit. There is self confessed written evidence from H of years of hidden debt etc...would that mean he should pay for the financial legal stuff too?

How do I afford to divorce him and get a fair settlement which will allow me to work with childcare, when I'm on income support and he is well off?

Will the solicitor accept a cut of the house capital? But also, how much are court fees and do I have to pay them in advance?

Any help would be fab, thanks smile

MooseBeTimeForSnow Mon 17-Feb-14 20:19:37

If you're in receipt of income support then you should be eligible for a fee exemption from the Court. There's a firm you fill in and I think you have to provide a copy of your most up to date letter confirming receipt of benefits.

MooseBeTimeForSnow Mon 17-Feb-14 20:21:21

This should help you.

NotBrittaPieHonest Mon 17-Feb-14 20:25:58

I'm on IS, and I divorced XH for free. But ours was really straight forward - no money, no arguments, etc - so I just did it myself by printing the forms off and taking them in to the nice people at the desk at the court.

It was surprisingly painless, considering.

I see you have more issues though, so that's probably no help...

What are you divorcing him for? If it's abuse I think there is legal aid, but I have literally no idea how all that works.

Fidelia Mon 17-Feb-14 20:56:03

Thanks for the fees help, that's fab!

He had an affair and also hid lots of debt. No physical abuse or anything like that.

We have a house with a mortgage. He has a very good pension, I have hardly any pension. My job (I want to get back to work) is long hours for poor pay and childcare costs are more per hour than I earn. I need capital, childcare costs and pension% (or equivalent in additional capital) -solicitor also suggested (during initial consult) spousal maintenance because it has been a long marriage and my career has been affected.. H thinks he just needs to pay basic CSA, halve the capital in the house and he keeps all of his pension. angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now