How do I support this child? Advice needed.

(7 Posts)
Mikachu Mon 15-Jul-13 21:01:00

Thanks. I'm doing what I can to look after both. One is very adamant that she is fine (which means she isn't, but if she won't talk about it there's not a lot I can do other than keep an eye on her). Both of them know that I'm here for them. They're moving onto secondary school after next week but they know I'm always here if they need me.

It's so hard to not say anything about either parent to either child. Sometimes I hate having to stay neutral. I'm furious with both parents for what they have done to their families, so goodness knows what the girls are feeling. I just wish I could make it better for them.

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Fri 12-Jul-13 12:31:05

Ok I have a bit longer now, this happened when I taught in schools a few years back.

Both children needed supporting, in both cases the other parents had been left devastated.

Both children need to know they are not to blame.
Both children need to know that any backlash will be dealt with, we had trouble with the child whos father had had an affair with the other mum kicking off and blaming the child for "stealing her dad"

horsetowater Fri 12-Jul-13 12:17:10

I think you need to offer both children your support - they are best friends and both have adulterous parents (no judgement there, just the facts). They need each other but this could set them apart. This is about finding a way forward for them both.

LoganMummy Fri 12-Jul-13 12:12:44

Agree with above.

SavoyCabbage Fri 12-Jul-13 12:12:05

Yes, and I would tell her that she can always talk to you if she needs to, even when you are not her class teacher.

EDMNWiganSalfordandBlackpool Fri 12-Jul-13 11:45:36

Did not want to read and run.

The biggest thing you can do is let her know you are there to talk and that none of it is her fault.

Mikachu Thu 11-Jul-13 20:56:17

I know it's near the end of term and there are only 9 days left but a girl in my class is going through hell and I don't know how best to support her. She's 11 years old.

Her parents are divorcing. In the last month she has not only discovered this but also that there is an affair involved with her best friend's parent. She's understandably devastated and confused. What can I say to help her??

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now