Question about pension sharing when XH has several pensions

(2 Posts)
MirandaWest Wed 13-Feb-13 23:41:09

XH and I are going to be getting divorced at some point this year (coping up to two years separation). Having looked into the different options for pensions, I feel that pension sharing would seem to be in my benefit but am unsure whether the costs of this would wipe out any benefit as the amounts involved are not large.

We are both in our late 30s and so would anticipate retiring at a similar age but I realise that if he dies (possible), I remarry (possible) or he chooses to delay retirement (again possible) that I would not benefit. In total our CETV is about £50k with about £13k being in my name. He has 4 pensions, one a final salary one and the other defined benefit. The final salary pension has a CETV of about £15k with the remaining £22k split roughly equally between 3 pensions. I'd assume on a 50:50 split so speaking roughly feel I would be "entitled to" £12k of his pension pot.

But having seen fees can be up to £2,500 per scheme and presuming I would have to pay that it seems I could end up with very little which seems a little unfair.

I would however like the clean break aspect (and when I spoke to a solicitor she emphasised this).

Does anyone have experience of pension sharing where there are several smaller value pensions? Am I best just to accept there can't be a clean break and I could end up with nothing, but would hopefully get something?

Collaborate Thu 14-Feb-13 08:36:51

I agree that the difference in pension values us slight (he has £25k more than you) so is highly likely to be ignored by the courts, particularly in view if your young ages.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now