Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any parents with epilepsy?

(58 Posts)
newy Sun 12-Aug-07 14:26:37

Any other parents with epilepsy out there? Mine was well controlled but became less so when meds changed so I could get pregnant. Post birth I had a tonic clonic and had to go back into hospital. Have had a few myoclonic since but getting better. DS 4 months old.

scissy Sat 05-Jan-13 11:52:53

I was diagnosed as a teenager (despite having had seizures for years before that - noone knew what they were, they just thought I was weird sad) and have been on meds ever since. I've tried most AEDs for my seizures at some point as mine is hard to control, still no licence for me but DC1 is due in 4 wks :D

Iwasafairybutlostmywings Sat 05-Jan-13 20:49:02

it's frustrating isn't scissy I used to wake up confused phone people they'd send me to doc which was useless people only found out when we were at a conference and it happened there. thankfully right at back so didn't cause any scenes!!

scissy Sun 06-Jan-13 16:12:05

Mine was a bit more drastic than that - when I was having absence seizures every 10-15 mins and couldn't hold coherent conversation any more, it was only then that my parents thought "maybe we should take her to the doctor"??! Needless to say, I get annoyed now when ppl talk about kids who 'daydream' a lot - yes most of them are just daydreamers, but one of them may have epilepsy!

Highlander Thu 16-May-13 22:43:15

If you're diagnosed epileptic, what 'rights' do you have at work?

Collegue has lots of sick leave, which only the HR dept has a problem with. He's been threatened with the sack. We definitely don't want to lose him, he's a really valuable member of the team.

Can you be registered disabled with epilepsy? If you're registered, do you then have protection at work?

Highlander Thu 16-May-13 22:43:52

Sorry to gatecrash, but really want to help this guy.

PolterGoose Fri 17-May-13 18:25:20

Highlander your friend has protection under the 2010 Equality Act Acas have produced a guide here

You'll get good advice on the Employment Issues board which is in the Work section.

scissy Mon 27-May-13 21:01:52

As previous posters said, epilepsy used to be covered under the DDA, which became the equality act. I haven't had to use it thankfully but my employer does allow me to attend epilepsy medical appointments without having to take leave as epilepsy is a qualifying disability.

Have just re-found this thread! In June 2009 found out me and dd have dyspraxia which contributes to tiredness, forgetfulness (very bad). My last tonic clonic fit I think was easter 2010 the first and only one dd has seen. It is definately stress that triggers mine off. Every holiday the change in routine makes my stress levels rocket (dyspraxia is on the autism spectrum so change / lack of routine really bad) i think I still have 'absences' but not sure.
Does anyone else though suffer with the tiredness forgetfulness and frequent feelings of depression?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now