Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Visual impairment / RP

(5 Posts)
Worried12 Mon 31-Aug-15 09:20:31

Hello. I just wanted a bit of reassurance more than anything really. I'm 23 years old and have a genetic condition called RP. This means my eyesight will gradually detiriate as I get older. At the moment I hold down a full time job but it is very physical and not something I feel I will be able to do for much longer which is a shame because I adore it sad I am registered blind and will never be able to drive. I do currently walk around without an aid such as a cane or a dog, but do find it more difficult if I'm walking alone in busy places - if I'm with my boyfriend I'll hold his hand or arm. I am currently pregnant with my first, and I am really excited but I constantly have these niggling doubts that I will be a bad mum because of my vision, and worry that I'm going to really struggle pushing a pram around. The gene that caused this is recessive so it is unlikely my baby will have it, but there is always a small chance I guess. It does really get me down but I try to stay strong and positive. Are there any other visually impaired mums/ parents out there who can give me some advice or just some reassurance that I will be able to cope okay. Thank for reading and your replies in advance xxx

BackforGood Tue 01-Sep-15 00:11:32

Hi Worried12 I'm not visually impaired, but didn't want your post to go unanswered. Would it be worth getting in touch with someone like RNIB or asking your midwife if she knows either of any support groups locally, or, even better, any other Mums with VI who might be prepared to chat with you and offer you a few tips or some mutual support ?

techgirl Sun 06-Sep-15 19:31:43

Pm me if you are still around, my dp is partially sighted and I can send you links/advice tips. I know a blind mum of a 3 year old and yes you will be able to cope. Very quick suggestion is forget the pram and use a sling/carrier, and think about a cane as at least it flags to others that you can' t see.

AmandaJane82a Fri 23-Oct-15 14:41:04

Hi Worried 12 I have had eyesight problems myself, although they have improved I am left with poor peripharal vision and cannot drive.until recently I worked for a charity for the blind, I have lots of blind friends who have been brilliant parents, what particular concerns do you have? With regards to having a cane I would advise you get one, they help you detect obstacles, steady you if you are unsure, people can see you may need a little extra time and are more understanding and patient. Some of my younger friends have a resistance to them but once people start using them they are converted.

CloneMeNow Tue 05-Apr-16 22:46:11

Hi op I also have RP and 3 DC - I will post tomorrow when on computer rather than phone

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now