Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Pregnant with crutches??

(7 Posts)
Peep70 Fri 24-Jul-15 18:28:16

Hi there
I haven't posted before- I usually lurk! But I haven't been able to find anyone in a similar position to me and in looking for someone who might have been there and done that? Or even "I'm doing it at the moment and it's a bit hard!" I am 18 weeks preggers with my first child at 36. I have spina bifida and walk with elbow crutches. I'm pretty mobile, completely independent, do a full time professional job etc. I thought long and hard as to whether motherhood was for me... And obvs decided it was. But it hasn't been an easy or lightly taken decision. I have a v supportive partner and loads of great friends... But none with disabilities. Specifically no mums with disabilities! I'm pretty terrified and already struggling a bit with the physical aspects of the pregnancy... Even though I know they will get much harder! Is there anybody out there who feels my pain/ has hands that are as sore as mine?! X

Peep70 Tue 11-Aug-15 05:54:48

Doesn't look like it sad

AnOddOod Tue 11-Aug-15 07:53:06

I was on crutches in my last two pregnancies and afterwards so about 4/5 years on crutches. I'm not on them now although my mobility isn't great. So it's not the same situation as you with the long term use.

FrancesNiadova Sat 22-Aug-15 10:46:35

Sorry, I wasn't on crutches whilst I was pregnant, so not much help here, just bumping post.
flowers

GreenGoth89 Wed 09-Sep-15 20:50:04

I'm not on crutches and haven't been pregnant but I do use a stick around the house and a wheelchair out of it and I have a 3 1/2 year old SS. When he was very small i would just get him lifted onto my lap and DP would do all of the pram pushing and such. But I have friends who are full time wheelchair users who have done stunningly as new parents.

hibbleddible Thu 01-Oct-15 21:12:51

I had bad SPD while pregnant, so struggled too, but for ddifferent reasons to you.

Pregnancy is hard for lots of women for lots of different reasons.

Maybe you could meet someone in a similar situation through a loc support group or the nct?

Peep70 Wed 29-Jun-16 14:21:04

I just wanted to return to this thread a year after my original post. I now have a beautiful healthy seven month year old baby girl. The practicalities of caring for a baby have actually been more straightforward than I thought- I use a chair in the house and a baby carrier when I am out and we have been able to get out and about independently since she was about 8 weeks. I love being a mum so much and I spent so long being scared that I wouldn't manage- none of my fears have come true. I just wanted to say to anyone who might have been in my position a couple of years ago, wanting to get pregnant and worried their disability would stop them being a good mum... It's just like all the other things that you have already done in your life, where u have to find a way to overcome your physical problems- u find a way. I know it's a cliche ... But becoming a mum is the best thing I have ever done. Good luck xxx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now