Mumsnetters aren't necessarily qualified to help with medical problems. If you have any serious concerns, we would urge you to consult your GP.

Any mums with dyspraxia besides me?

(15 Posts)
TerrariaMum Tue 29-Oct-13 15:46:53

I just wondered if I was alone. I see plenty of things on how to deal with a dyspraxic child, but none on being a mum with the condition. It doesn't go away when you grow up.

Plus DD1 takes after DH and has utterly amazing fine motor skills for a 2 year old. DD2 is only 6 months old so no idea yet about her.

Shannaratiger Sun 22-Dec-13 10:24:14

Sorry have only just noticed this thread. I also have dyspraxia, and epilepsy. My dd10 has it as well along with learning delay. My dp has dyspraxia and ds7 has something but I'm not sure what yet, possibly OCD and control issues!
All these conditions are all on the autism spectrum so we all find social situations difficult. Organising is a major issue am trying to sort out my wedding for october as well as christmas - think I'll be on antidepressants really soon!

elliejjtiny Thu 13-Feb-14 17:16:31

I have dyspraxia and hypermobility. I really struggle with organizing. I find the best way of doing things is have a diary, lists and meal plans. Every Saturday morning I check my diary and plan meals around everything eg Tuesday is ds1 piano lesson so I plan to do something quick for tea. Everything goes in my diary. I have one with lots of space so I can write in it how many syns I've had that day (doing slimming world) how many feeds ds4 has had, when I need to pay for school dinners etc.

Flightless Wed 09-Apr-14 18:58:18

I have eds and dyspraxia am the clumsiest most disorganised person ever..

any advise on how to not be insanely muddled always would be great.. My iq is really high but I just come across ditzy and look about 12 which doesn't help anything either (I'm 28!!)

Flightless Wed 09-Apr-14 18:58:50

Also my little boy has better fine motor skills at 11 months then I have ever had!!!

yongnian Sat 19-Apr-14 20:05:36

Yep, me. Formally assessed last year but known for ages. When first DD was born I didn't have as much awareness but wondered why I struggled so much with all the new practical tasks/equipment that came along. Eg it took me a longer time than most to manage/coordinate/organise getting out with baby/car/car seat pram etc...would always be fumbling ineptly with something or other. If I feel under pressure or am being observed, it's far worse so like to get my confidence together alone, with any new/regular/complex task. Tiredness ups the ante massively so I get as much rest as poss as secondary strain on mental health is not far away otherwise. I basically don't cover it up any more either as that is more exhausting than being how I am anyhow!
Am going thro it all again second time with new baby (8 year gap!) forgotten so much so am having to relearn but I did a lot of thinking/remembering the difficult spots from first time and tried to get things set up and organised in advance to help us all cope better.
It's like any other of the daily challenges with dyspraxia tho - coping strategies do help. structure, repetitive practice, time and patience plus breaking tasks down into small do-able chunks. not putting pressure on myself helps. Very luckily have a great supportive DH who understands.
DD1 is 8 and on the point of being assessed dyspraxia/sensory stuff/ poss high functioning aspergers. Unsurprised - watched it unfolding since she was small.
Have learnt to be unbothered about asking for help when I need it and asking as many questions as many times as I need to until I've 'got it'.
Experiential and visual learning are also the best ways for me.

Seryph Tue 27-May-14 17:33:19

Dyspraxic, dyslexic, Hypermobility Syndrome, and generally a bit rubbish!

AdoraDreams Wed 05-Nov-14 21:11:50

Dyspraxic, mental, dyslexic and wheelchair user. \o/

(The wheelchair means I fall over less. Go team me.)

BumpAndGrind Sat 15-Nov-14 21:50:09

Dyspraxic with Faceblindness and High Functioning Autism here.

I dropped DD at 10 months. She cut here mouth. sad

AimeeWood22 Sun 03-Apr-16 07:56:25

Hi guys, I could really do with some help and advice.
I am Dyslexic, Dyspraxic, I have Hypermobility, Scoliosis and Myserlin Syndrome. My Dyspraxia is the thing that seems effect me worst.
It makes me incredibly tired, loud shrill noises cause me to panic to the point I nearly have a panic attack ( my Lbs crying seriously gets to me ) his weight sets my scoliosis and semi prolapsed disc off... he's 4 months in 6-9 clothes some times 9-12 months and he weighs 17 lbs. He's teething atm his top and bottom 4 are coming in and he's crying/screaming on and off all day the usual suspects don't always work (teething granules, bonjela, calpol, nurofen and gripe water ) he's getting really gripey with it. And I'm finding it really difficult to cope with his crying because it's really getting to me dyspraxia wise. Does anyone have Any coping strategies or advice ? I'm litreally at my wits end. Many thanks.

GreenGoth89 Thu 14-Apr-16 23:57:15

Yet another hyper mobile dyspraxic (with chronic pain syndrome). I'm a stepmum of a DSS(4) who just accepts I can't run about I do all the creative stuff and his dad does all the active stuff. Organisation is a nightmare but I use a my phone calendar which I also share with my partner so he knows what I'm doing and when and can add any appointments when needed. All appointments have to have a reminder 1 hr before hand. Otherwise, everything having its place, streamline everything from meal planning to outfits. Mindfulness mindfulness mindfulness and give yourself time to be you. Don't beat yourself up!

Shannaratiger Mon 13-Jun-16 06:30:49

Still here! Dd 12 is now at SN secondary school and loving it. Just means now have 2 school fetes, sports days etc. to remember and it's harder not having school gate reminders. DS is getting worse, his perfectionism and my inability to remember are causing major screaming meltdowns. Does anyone else forget things the second after someone's told you and hear people talking to you but just not be able to understand, even really simple requests?

Shannaratiger Mon 13-Jun-16 06:34:43

Aimee sorry forgot what you wroteblushgrin yes crying really upsets me, especially when it's me that caused it. Hardest thing is making decisions and telling people what to do - not good problems for a parent.

Happyclappy16 Sun 28-Aug-16 18:10:44

Hi my ds is 8 and being assessed at the moment - all I can say is being a mum with dyspraxic tendencies has made me more supportive of him my DD is 5 and much more coordinated as is DH - wish I'd been kinder to myself when they were little - it's really challenging physically when they are small - I will make up for it with emotional support as I've become v resilient in my life- not being able to do things easily makes me much more understanding to others

Help1985 Sat 03-Sep-16 09:52:42

I'm dyslexic mom of 3

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now